question

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack asked

Off-Grid solution vor VRM

Good evening,

where my system is installed, I have no GSM/LTE connection.

Is there an Off-line solution to the VRM, which I can run on my own Debian/GNU Linux server?

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Unfortunately no, the VRM, requires the system to have access to the internet

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

You can run the GX screen via HDMI or build your own dashboard via MQTT, but VRM is in the cloud. What did you want to see exactly?

My off grid dashboard looks like:

dash.png

dash.png (211.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack answered ·

I need to capture ALL data to generate statistics, Power curves usage and more.

I have (currently) connected eight BMV 702 (one per Battery set) via the USR-TCP232-T2 to (also my 3 SmartSolar, my 3 WindMax2500 and 2 WindMax1000) my LAN using a 24port Ethernet Switch together with a Media-Converter (FiberOptic)to my house.

I try to capture the 16 data streems but my daemon crash all the time. And more worse it will be with 5 additional SmartShunts

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Forgotten one Thing:

My Farm "Miila Mahe Aed OÜ" was nominated be the Estonian LEADER Program in 2020 to be first off all the only known Off-the-Grid enterprise in Europe at 59° Latitude and also 24V DC powered.

We need to run comprehensive statistics and analyses because more and more people's and (new) enterprises thinking on Off-the-Grid solutions.

My biggest installation is currently an Enterprise, where the Grid-Provider can not support more then 125A @400V 3P which is only 50kW and I installed 6 Quatto Inverter 15kVA with 3 battery sets 48V/4350Ah, 2 Fronius GTIs 12kW and my customer want to have 1 or two 20KW Windmill/s installed.

Believe me, this thing is rentabel, because increasing the Grid to 200kW (500A) would cost around 2,8 million Euro.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You can deploy grafana..

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·
2 |3000

tango avatar image
tango answered ·

As this might be the right thread, I'll just put this in here.
Setting up an Raspberry Pi + Apache Web Server, then Using the VRM Portal there (Saving it) and making sure it gets the data from your Cerbo GX to display it, would that be possible?

Yes I am aware you'd have to make some connections and some coding, but is it feasible?

Looking if people already looking a bit behind the curtain of VRM Portal?

Having just asked Victron I do not know why this option does not exist?
For various OFF Grid (and NO Internet) use cases this would be perfect.

5 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
When a GX device, such as a Cerbo, is offline, all the data is stored on the SD card for transmission once the connection is restored.

I'm not sure if the format is proprietary or open, but if it is open, it would be pretty straightforward to read, store in a database elsewhere and delete older data from the SD card. Putting a front end to the data removed would be quite simple as well.

One would have to replace the SD card frequently to minimise the chances of data loss due to failure...

0 Likes 0 ·
tango avatar image tango kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Well as my Intranet would still be up and running it is connected to the network, just not the Internet. Which did work for the control of the Device via Victron Connect.

That is when I found out I can not look into the Portal.

As this is the most recent use case. The internet goes down (due to own issues or due to Blackout) and I can not monitor my System via the Portal as I "used to".
I'd like to see if a combined effort can be made. I think Victron would benefit from it to supply even more Detail to a great product.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack tango commented ·
I wish, Victron would make the VRM server software public available, then make the link in your GX configurable and point it to your intranet server.

This would solve all Off-the-Grid problems.

Mybecthe OFF-LINE VRM should support compressed bulk uploading of collected date the the Victron VRM Web-Portal which is very useful if someone has an expensive satellite link with limited transfer rates.

0 Likes 0 ·
tango avatar image tango Michelle Konzack commented ·
I don't want to give up on it just yet ^^

Trying both sides (Victron - to show there is a need for the ability) maybe they at least support our efforts.
And the Community site, maybe we get the attention of the right people here.

As far as I see it there are 2 Tasks:

- getting the VRM Portal "Off-line" (via maybe a small Pi solution with a web server)

- getting the Data from the Cerbo GX (maybe a script? / not via SD Card) into a connected Network (pull script from the PI? Then Upload to the Web Server Based "VRM-Portal-Offline" )

@kevgermany as I'm new to this forum, do the mods have any influence towards VE? (Mentioning the R&D connection to get any support really)

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tango commented ·

There's certainly a Victron presence here and we can drop hints. No guarantees, though.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Michelle Konzack

This question is moving into the area covered by the mods forum. I'll move it there.

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack answered ·

Let's say, if Victron would packup the Server VRM Software and make it downloadable, it would be very great.

However it must work with GNU/Linux, Apache2, PostgreSQL (or even using PDO DB independent) and PHP7

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@Michelle Konzack

If you install Venus OS large, it includes node-RED. This should allow you to do what you want using chart node.

Alternatively Grafana with Venus docker.

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana

I've not used either, but thede should get you there.

3 comments
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Ich habe einen Banana PI M1 welcher I'm gegensatz zum RPI einen CAN Bus hat.

Kann man auf dem auch das Venus OS large laufen lassen?

0 Likes 0 ·
rafl avatar image rafl Michelle Konzack commented ·
Hallo, ich bin zufällig auf ihren Artikel gestoßen. Haben Sie venus OS auf einem Banana Pi laufen?

Ich finde dazu bislang keine Doku.

Viele Grüße

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack rafl commented ·
Oops, I did not see your question...

I have some performance problems and I need to compile some driver on my own, because it differ from the Raspberry PI version.

However, I have choosen the Banana PI M1 for the CAN Bus.

Maybe I find the time this Winter to work on it.

0 Likes 0 ·
kp4djt avatar image
kp4djt answered ·

Has anymore been done on this. The reason I ask is in the amateur radio community we have a growing high speed RF based network called AREDN Amateur Radio Emergency Data Network.

The network operates in parallel to the internet, at some places tunnels through it but in many areas we have high speed RF based links.

One of the objectives is to make the radio nodes independent of the grid. That way they will continue to carry traffic even with no power, Solar leads the way as an optimal solution for this operation. But since the network is separate from the internet we cannot connect to the VRM servers. Ideally if we could obtain the software and setup such a server(s) for this operation that would be the best of all worlds. I have found that the Victron devices work well on our network. As we add more and more of them to the network a central server or servers would be a great answer to monitor and correct any issues with the solar powered node sites.

Is there any possibility that VRM maybe released so as to be able to run it locally for separate networks?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, releasing VRM is something we won’t do. Doing that will also mean we have to provide automated upgrades to new versions, database conversions, and so forth and so forth.

What we are quite far with is making a Venus OS large version that includes infuxdb and Grafana. That might be a good option.

And until then I recommend everyone to look at our existing docker based influx + Grafana solution. It does most of what I see that is asked for.

And requires a device to run it on, ie a real server running and OS that can de docker, but can also be a rpi.

1 Like 1 ·