question

justinm avatar image
justinm asked

Quattro or Cerebo relay to setup "winter" mode

Using a Quattro 5000 with cerbo GX in my RV and planning on using a relay with an assistant to turn on a relay when the temperature drops (using a bluetooth ruuvi sensor) which will then turn power to my tank heaters and some other items all on 12V. Is this possible? I'm assuming I'll need a SS relay or something to allow 15+ amps of the draw. I'm not sure if I should use the Quattro or Cerbo GX relay.

Are there any modules that'll allow additional relays? Would like to setup other automations like "storage" mode where it'll shut down anything not necessary.

Relay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
stubbs avatar image
stubbs answered ·

Your plan isn't bad. Stay away from SSRs. They most always fail closed! Use a normal Relay with a flyback /Lösch diode. You can get multi contact relays and define your own logic. SSRs are not simple as one would believe. They need to be installed with upstream safeties and in sieries. Incase one fails short (closed). With visual or acoustic alarm. I have seen some nasty incidents with SSRs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stubbs avatar image
stubbs answered ·

SS Battery Isolater. Worked like a champ on a rectified Windturbine for years. It failed in an "ON" State! It was fuse with 100A this is a 200A device! Never bothered to tell Victron about it. Should have! Figuered out of warranty. Why the effort. I still have it if they are interested. lol Doubt it. Have many more pics of failed SSRs.

gkvk4715.jpg

gkvk4715.jpg (136.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic