question

pftls avatar image
pftls asked

Orion-Tr smart non-isolated 12/12: possible to connect input directly to output

Hi, I'm using the Orion-TR 12/12 non-isolated in my VW T6.1 without any problem. However, in order to charge all the three original batteries with the build in mains charger in need either to restore the original wiring (since no current will flow via the Orion from the output to the input, reverse direction), or just connect the input of the Orion to the output (i.e shorting input to output). Is this acceptable for the Orion non-isolated 12/12 charger?

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
minmin avatar image
minmin answered ·

This took me a really long time to understand. I think you should outline your system more specifically so that others can help.

"Three original batteries" refers to the whole bank? Or part of the bank separated by the Orion from the vehicle battery(s)? Or just a separate bank? Battery chemistry? Other factors going in/out?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pftls avatar image
pftls answered ·

Sorry if I was unclear, I will try to give less details.

Assume bat1 connected to input, bat2 connected to output (of OrionTr smart 12/12/30 non-isolated).
Both batteries identical. Is it possible to make a direct connection between the input and output of the booster? This would permit to charge bat1&bat2 at the same time (with an external charger connected to bat2)

3 comments
2 |3000

minmin avatar image minmin commented ·
Ah i see now. I had a similar question about shorting them temporarily to boost the vehicle battery to assist starting.

The answer i got that it was ok to do if the Orion is not activated. It was suggested that it was best to not "forget" it was in bypass/short mode though so I'm not sure about long term shorting it though. Probably best to make sure you don't activate the Orion when shorting at least

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
This sounds like a good way to start a fire. Don't do it.
0 Likes 0 ·
minmin avatar image minmin kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If the orion is kept off, why would this pose an issue?

I mean, if it turns on I can definitely see how pumping up voltage to the shorted circuit would be some weird loop ready to start a fire over time... but inactive? Of course there is always the risk of it somehow turning on accidentally or otherwise...

Curious to know more about this.

0 Likes 0 ·