question

steegergrid avatar image
steegergrid asked

Any Changelog Information for ESS Assistant ID 0184

Hey,

I have recently reconfigured some ESS Systems because of some changes. In VE Configure it wants me to update my ESS Assisant from ID 017E to 0184. However the assistants changelog in Victron Professional ends at 017E.

I also want to update the Systems to v.500 while I'm on it, but I am not sure whether I will run into problems without the Changelog?

Does anyone maybe from Victron knows where to get the changelog and / or if I run into problems with Firmware Version v.500 and 017E Assistant?

There was a problem posted here 10 days ago where someone couldn't get ESS running again after Updating to v.500

ESSfirmware updateAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
apacalipto avatar image
apacalipto answered ·

Hi,

You can download all Victron changelogs here: https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/

You can create a free account to get access.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

renzo avatar image
renzo answered ·

Thank you for the link apacalipto but as the OP pointed out the changelog does not have any info on the latest 0184 update

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Although the changelog does not shed light on ESS 0184 my understanding is that if/when you upgrade to v500 firmware you will install the latest Assistant since "....VEConfigure3 always uses the newest installed assistant version."?
I believe that even if you don't update the ESS assistant beforehand when you carry out the v500 update VEConfigure will fetch the latest version of ESS anyway? I have done this on my Multiplus 2 GX 48/3000 without issue for what it's worth.

3 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

The old assistants are actually still stored locally on the laptop and the new one can be renamed so older ones are installed instead.

I’m not sure why the log hasn’t been updated.

Given the timing with v500 I suspect it is also related to compliance, like v500.

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't get given the option... so @nickdb , is it possible to roll-back the assistant version if you wanted, would that be advisable with the latest firmware installed?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ gazza commented ·

Yes, rolling back isn’t difficult. After renaming the new assistant file (done manually with windoze explorer or cmd) you can just delete the installed assistant and when you install it again it will use the next most recent one.

I have the location documented somewhere.

I wouldn’t worry about having to roll back, I’m running 0184 fine on 498 firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·
steegergrid avatar image
steegergrid answered ·

Did all updates to v500 now, but had to manually update the assistants before uploading the config file to the inverters.

Actually the automatic conversion of the config file to the new version failed for the first time on me (did update via vrm) and I had to completely reconfigure manually.

However I use Ess 0184 now and I would still like to know what's new. So Victron please update the changelogs:)

2 |3000