question

rrofes avatar image
rrofes asked

Dyness batteries: be very careful!!!

Last February 2022 we bought three Dyness B3 battery modules to make up a solar system with two Victron Multiplus working in parallel. We managed to set up the system correctly with the info received from Dyness and it was working OK. After some weeks of use, we realised that the battery bank was too little for the inverting power capability of the multipluses, and we decided to buy two extra B3 battery modules.

The new modules were bought June'22 and tested. There started the problems: when connected together with the original modules it was obvious that something was not working well, we started to receive communication alarms from the batteries. We had the impression the modules were not communicating properly through the CAN bus. We asked Dyness technical staff and for our big surprise they told us, after asking for the S/N of each module, that the three first modules and the two second modules WERE NOT COMPATIBLE!!! They updated the product (new current specs, new BMS...) and did not even change the name of the model. Incredible.

From the outside the modules looked slightly different, we noticed it upon reception. Not big differences, the only obvious is that new model has an RJ "COM" connector in the frontal panel, to the left of the two CAN bus connectors. All the rest is basically the same.

I have been working in the electronics & telecom industry for more than twenty years and I never saw such a compatibility break from any label. Even more having in mind that battery modules are designed to work together.... The Dyness staff did not accept to give us a solution, just told us we had to go back to the dealer. Well, I have done so but our dealer says they can not change my modules by the compatible model without Dyness approval, and Dyness is not responding their messages. So now we ended up with two modules for a value around 2300€ that we can not use... Maybe we will get some solution from our seller but this is still very uncertain. What is crystal clear is that Dyness is not properly responding to the problems they cause to customers because of their poor development policy, to say it in a polite way.

So a word of warning for all seafarers: be very careful buying Dyness B3 modules from different sellers or at different times: it is not said that they will be compatible!!!
Regarding our company, for sure we will avoid putting ourselves again in the hands of this label.

battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dyness avatar image dyness commented ·

Dear customer,

We sincerely apologize for the bad use experience and any inconvenience have caused.

It should be clarified that B3 has two versions, and the new version is equipped with APP monitoring function, which was designed to improve customers’ use experience. However, it results in customers’ misunderstanding that the two versions battery are the same one because we didn’t make the product appearance and model changed a lot in production and after release.

To ensure it doesn’t happen again, we are taking the following steps to improve yours and all customers’ using experience.

Firstly, based on the reasonable demands, we will replace the battery with the same version for you to ensure the normal use.

Furthermore, we have tracked all the exported new version B3, confirm whether the customer has a demand for expansion within the allowed time period, and make records to ensure that the customer will receive the matching model.

In addition, we have suspended the production of new version B3 battery module and carrying out the rectification and transformation within a certain period, and then launch it to the market, to ensure that similar problems will not occur.

Moreover, we will also strengthen product and aftersales service training for installers and local suppliers of Dyness to make sure that similar issues don't happen again, improve the using experience comprehensively.

Again we apologize for the oversight in our after-sales service. We appreciate your trust for our product and value every customer’s needs and feedback. Hopefully, we can get your trust and choice again, create smart energy life together in the future.

Sincerely,

Dyness team

1 Like 1 ·
3 Answers
rrofes avatar image
rrofes answered ·

Update: last December 2022 a new sales representative from Dyness contacted us to solve the problem. The company provided a very good solution that consisted in replacing the three original battery modules by the actual model, so now the installation has all modules up to date and new, important detail that we appreciate: happy ending to this story after the initial problem.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bigoted-uncle avatar image bigoted-uncle commented ·
Was it clear to you that you bought a Dyness B3A vs a B3?
0 Likes 0 ·
rrofes avatar image rrofes bigoted-uncle commented ·
Not before the purchase. Item was described everywhere as B3: in the websites and over the product itself. But in the manual it is stated "B3A" if I remember well. Once you are aware of this issue you can also tell the difference from slight differences in the product faceplate.
0 Likes 0 ·
new-to-tech avatar image
new-to-tech answered ·

I have 6 Dyness batteries A48100,

Purchased 3 in October 2022

Purchased 1 in December 2022

Purchased 2 in January 2023 (yesterday they were delivered)

Now the monitoring software does not work due to the given explanation that the firmware version is different in the batteries, I have sent 2 mails to support at service@dyness-tech.com and no response, the investment is big but the dealers and distributors in South Africa don't seem to be aware of the problem and Dyness is not being helpful at all.

need better service or I am going to be forced to return the products if I don't get assisted.

2 |3000

new-to-tech avatar image
new-to-tech answered ·

and unfortunately, I also recommended 2 x Dyness 51100 to a friend which were purchased in December 2022, obviously he is going to land up with the same issue, once he adds another 2 end of January 2023, which I now have advised him against doing.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic