question

locked-out avatar image
locked-out asked

Venus GX randomly goes offline

Hello

I have a Venus GX which the vast majority of the time works just fine. It is connected via a Wifi router situated the other side of a brick wall, but the signal strength is always above 50%

Every now and then, though, maybe once a month, it just goes, and stays, offline. The process to get it back is:

1) Turning it off and on again.
2) Accessing it directly, via the "Venus_" rather than via the house's WiFi.
3) Then going into the VictronConnect app.

Do all of that, and it comes back fine. Until the next time. Only takes a few minutes, but rather vexing when no one is onsite.

The software is up to date. I have been through all the troubleshooting here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/vrm-portal.html#UUID-c6032252-9e32-f3d3-57ea-e6978bb0f62c

Ideas? As you may gather, I am a complete novice.

Thanks.

Simon

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Locked Out

Wifi signal strength down in the 50's isn't really great, and this may be the issue. There's a setting to have it reboot on lost contact, and this is useful for remote sites particularly..

1669122390680.png

1669122390680.png (23.5 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

locked-out avatar image locked-out commented ·

Thank you.

I have that setting turned on, however a reboot alone unfortunately does not fix it. It also happily reconnects when I reboot the wifi.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ locked-out commented ·
Does the IP address change after contact has been lost?
0 Likes 0 ·
John Leslie avatar image John Leslie klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Like locked-out, I have a Cerbo (v2.92) with a signal strength of 81% that stops updating VRM and becomes unresponsive (no ICMP ping) on its WiFi connection several times per day. If it has not already rebooted itself by the time I get to it, each time I can go into the network's WiFi router force the Cerbo into a WiFi reconnect at which point it happily reconnects becomes responsive to pings and resumes updating VRM. Its DHCP lease is 1 month with an IP reservation so that is always comes back on the same IP
0 Likes 0 ·
locked-out avatar image locked-out klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
No.
0 Likes 0 ·
locked-out avatar image
locked-out answered ·

Thank you.

I have that setting turned on, however a reboot alone unfortunately does not fix it. It also happily reconnects when I reboot the wifi.

2 |3000