question

allswell avatar image
allswell asked

Flooded lead acid battery bank rose to 44c while charging. VE Config not saving temp compensation.

Yikes! That's hot. Is this something I should worry about? The room the batteries are in also houses our generator (extremely well ventilated building an forced commercial fan air circulation on at all times while the generator is running). So when we charge, the room heats up because of the heat from the generator running.

Is this kind of a temp nothing to worry about?

I have a 24v bank of twelve Rolls fla's: 6v 235ah batteries wired in 3 sets of 4 in series and then those 3 sets wired in parallel to make a bank of 24v 705ah. I have tried to change the temperature compensation in the VE Configure to be the -48mv/deg that the batteries require but VE Config will not allow the change to be saved for some reason. Not sure what I'm doing wrong!

I was able to change it in Victron Connect bluetooth app though... is that enough?

Thanks Community

screen-shot-2022-11-19-at-83423-am.png

This was the temp in the room as the charge began:

screen-shot-2022-11-19-at-83857-am.png

This is what the room temp rose to:

screen-shot-2022-11-19-at-83915-am.png

battery chargingVEConfigure 3temperature compensation
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Allswell

Are you using STS in DVCC?

0 Likes 0 ·
allswell avatar image allswell Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Just checked in my DVCC and it would seem I am. I have that setting on. Is there something else that corresponds to it that I need to set up?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ allswell commented ·

It would depend on if you have more than one temperature sensor. Make sure the one for the battery is the one that is actually being used for control.

Hot batteries are a bit concerning. But your ambient is also quite high.

Are they being charged at the correct C rate? And are you sure all your terminals are tight?

And your room definitely needs better ventilation and a through draft if possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
allswell avatar image allswell allswell commented ·

Interesting. It says there:

Selectable sources for the battery temperature are:

• BMV-702 battery monitor

• BMV-712 battery monitor

• SmartShunt

• Lynx Shunt VE.Can battery monitors

• Multi/Quattro inverter/charger

• Solar chargers (if fitted with a temperature sensor)

However, I'm using the temp sensor that is connected to the Cerbo GX however, I purchased a Smart Battery Sense as well so that I could get readings on the batteries that are from halfway up the battery on the side, rather than from the post... however I don't see that option as a selection in the STS... my system calls the temp sensor from the Cerbo GX the "Battery temperature sensor (1).

screen-shot-2022-11-20-at-94136-am.png

Any idea how to use the SBS for the STS? Wouldn't that be more accurate? How to get that to connect to the Cerbo GX brain of it all though?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ allswell commented ·

@Allswell

The smart battey sense only work with bt smart networking with mppts. So not useful for you here.

And you can't run a smart network and have a GX together.

Have you verified the temperature sensor on the cerbo is correct? sometimes you need to calibrate them.

And yeah for the STS it has to be one that is listed, or it cant use the data.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

If you're actually running the batteries at elevated temperature, you're going to shorten the life of your batteries by a good measure:

https://support.rollsbattery.com/en/support/solutions/articles/246381-flooded-battery-capacity-temperature

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources