question

Michael Grimbaldeston avatar image
Michael Grimbaldeston asked

CCGX has stopped communicating with the VRM Portal

The CCGX on my boat has communicated with the VRM portal continuously for over two years without problems. It is running Firmware v2.23. Yesterday, at 17:02 it stopped all communication. I presumed it was a Wi-Fi problem and checked at the boat today. The Wi-Fi was still connected with a signal strength of 63%. I re-booted the CCGX but still no communication with the VRM portal. Is this a problem at the CCGX or possibly at the VRM portal?

CCGX Color Control
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Grimbaldeston avatar image Michael Grimbaldeston commented ·

mvader thanks for your reply. I intended to drive to the boat again today and work through the troubleshooting guide as you advised. I accessed the VRM portal yesterday morning and the CCGX was still not transferring data. However, late yesterday evening I accessed the VRM portal again and found that the CCGX was now communicating and had downloaded all the external stored data. So, I will let it run as normal and see if the problem arrises again.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
max-b avatar image
max-b answered ·

I was about to write a similar message. Since some times (a few days). CCGX is loosing VRM connection much often. It is not the previous problem with bad wifi connection.

An interesting fact is that it is possible to launch the remote console from the VRMM portal, after a delay it works, then go to wifi setting, do a fake change (like removing a 0 from an IP field) and then the VRM log reconnects. For a few hours.

I did not check if there has been a firmware update, but something happened either on CCGX side or on VRM web site side.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eirik avatar image
eirik answered ·

I have also experienced problems logging on to the remote console via VRM over the last few days (problems connecting, and the console being slow when using). As I had just also upgraded to the test version 2.30~43, I thought that this might be the reason, but maybe there is a problem with the connection itself?

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, I checked briefly, and don’t see anything wrong on our side (and no complaints either; 1000s and 1000s of sites pushing in data every minute.

Strange ofcourse for the communication to stop just like that.

Troubleshooting guide is here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:troubleshooting_ccgx_vrm_connectivity

You need to go through it, even though some steps might seem superfluous.

I don’t know how technical you are, but it includes an advanced debugging section.

Also, a week orso from now, I expect to have a new v2.30 beta version available, which has better troubleshooting options. It shows what went wrong when sending the data to the portal.

1 comment
2 |3000

max-b avatar image max-b commented ·

I checked every step of the guide. Everything looks fine. And the fact that it is possible to activate the remote console shows that the internet connectivity is ok. But for some reason the cccx stop sending report at some point.

Maybe a failure in the handshake on one transaction breaks the times process. And then it restarts only when some setting is changed so the process is reset.

0 Likes 0 ·