question

andybierlair avatar image
andybierlair asked

Confusion Grid Usage

I understand the concept of zero'ing out all 3 phases, but in my current ESS setup (Setpoint 0W), I ran a trial with a 1.5 KW AC Load and a full 48V / 840Ah Battery and a little bit of incoming PV.

My expectation was to see 0W on the AC IN, but also 0W on L1, L2 & L3. Why is it showing the full watts on the different Phases of AC IN, when clearly the battery and the MPPTs took care of handling all the load?

Same goes for the To Grid and From Grid values in the Historical Data, which I thought would be zero.

Is this behavior normal or can this be adjusted somewhere?

Thank you.

screenshot-2022-11-11-at-133902.pnguntitled.jpg

ESSgrid3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You can change ESS to use individual phase compensation instead of total of all phases, which will alter the behaviour.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andybierlair avatar image andybierlair commented ·
Indeed this fixes the visualisation. Thank you!

When switching to this mode, I get some piece of advice that I should only do this if the grid operator requires me to do so. Are there any downsides to using individual phase compensation over sum of all phases?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ andybierlair commented ·
Not specifically. In regions where they don't want/permit feed-in it is necessary to set it, so its common in this neck of the woods.

0 Likes 0 ·
andybierlair avatar image andybierlair nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Alright, got it. But still, why would any AC-OUT through battery & PV usage be shown on the AC-IN side?

I would think that AC-IN only comes into play when you really need surplus energy from the grid. What's my knowledge gap here?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ andybierlair commented ·

Because it is trying to balance grid usage to a net 0, while keeping inverter usage symmetrical.

Have a read here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/multiphase-regulation---further-information.html

screenshot-2022-11-11-at-160417.png

0 Likes 0 ·