question

jan-dittmer avatar image
jan-dittmer asked

Inconsistency in Grid vs. Battery Consumption in VRM portal

I've a pretty standard ESS system with a MP II 48/3000/35 on L1 with a Battery and an ET340 Energy meter. For whatever reason, even though the system is working correctly, it does not show the right sums of energy consumption on the overview graph. The "Advanced" statistic page is correct.

It kind of seems to me like the "Battery" and "Grid" values are actually swapped. Could that be?

I originally didn't have "multiphase regulation" in ESS Setting set correctly, but that's now fixed for 2 days (and shouldn't effect the reporting).

I've two pretty similar setups where this is just working correctly. Installation ID 231115 if someone can

Any ideas. Maybe a way to "reset" the VRM dashboard?

Power consumption "today"

screen-shot-2022-11-09-at-84135-pm.png

Consumption as reported "today"

screen-shot-2022-11-09-at-84209-pm.png

ESS Setting

screen-shot-2022-11-09-at-84250-pm.png

ESSVRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jan-dittmer avatar image
jan-dittmer answered ·

screen-shot-2022-11-09-at-90118-pm.png

Yes, eye-balling the battery power between 0 and 6am pretty much integrates to the grid value. Seems like a bug in VRM dashboard given that the "Advanced" graphs are actually correct?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daba avatar image
daba answered ·

I think the Grid is near to 0W because of ESS -->OK, the battery shows some discharging --> OK. I gues the historical data are incorrect because they should match to the other graphs

1 comment
2 |3000

jan-dittmer avatar image jan-dittmer commented ·
Yes, the historical graphs seem incorrect to me. Is there a way to fix these? Re-registering in the VRM portal? Or any other method to reset this?
0 Likes 0 ·
jan-dittmer avatar image
jan-dittmer answered ·

Essentially this behaves as ESS/"Single-Phase" where my setting is ESS/Multi-phase regulation. I guess if no one has ideas I'm going to delete the dashboard instance and recreate it, hoping it will pick up the right way. Afaict, the summing is done on the VRM side and not on the GX? I don't see relevant Energy/* metrics in dbus-spy.

2 |3000

jan-dittmer avatar image
jan-dittmer answered ·

Talking to myself and debugging it a bit further, it looks like the ET340 (product ID b00d, Serial 085432W) doesn't get set to the correct measurement mode B and thereby keeps reporting both forward and reverse energy. I can fix this in vrmlogger/kwhdeltas.py (yes it does after all calculate it on the GX device), like this:

--- kwhdeltas.py

+++ kwhdeltas_test.py

@@ -298,9 +298,17 @@

self._add_battery_service(self._battery_service.service, self._battery_service.instance, no=(lambda s: None))

baselinetimestamp, deltas, rawdeltas, servicecounts = self._dbusdeltas.get_deltas(refreshbaseline)

+ print(baselinetimestamp, deltas['vebus'], deltas['grid'])

- grid_in = deltas['grid']['/Ac/Energy/Forward']

- grid_out = deltas['grid']['/Ac/Energy/Reverse']

+ grid_net = deltas['grid']['/Ac/Energy/Forward'] - deltas['grid']['/Ac/Energy/Reverse']

+ if grid_net > 0:

+ grid_in = grid_net

+ grid_out = 0

+ else:

+ grid_in = 0

+ grid_out = grid_net

genset_in = deltas['genset']['/Ac/Energy/Forward']

pvac_grid = deltas['pvac.grid']['/Ac/Energy/Forward']

pvac_genset = deltas['pvac.genset']['/Ac/Energy/Forward']

2 comments
2 |3000

stefank avatar image stefank commented ·

Hi,

great job! Have the same issue. Modified kwhdeltas.py. But after restart connection to VRM isn't working anymore. And Remote Console says: no buffer active, no connection to VRM, unkown failure. Any ideas? @Jan Dittmer

1684481932204.png

Needed some time to find the file. It is located at

/opt/victronenergy/vrmlogger/kwhdeltas.py
0 Likes 0 ·
1684481932204.png (54.9 KiB)
stefank avatar image stefank stefank commented ·

Well, now it works. But changed grid_out = - grid_net

0 Likes 0 ·