question

ninjabojo avatar image
ninjabojo asked

Victron 100/30 wattage max charge rate

• I have 4 x 320w (40v/8a) panels, 24v system (batteries and inverter), victron mppt 100/30. I originally started with 2 panels setup in parallel yielding max 380w charging rate. I Added 2 more panels for a total of 4 and thought I would double my charging rate to 760w. It’s currently set up 2P2S but it still maxed out at 380w. Please let me know if I switched to. 4P panels config, I would achieve a max rate of 760w? But in a 4P config I would get 40v/32a, would it still work with the victron 100/30? Or would I need to upgrade the mppt? Also could anyone suggest the best setup for max charging rate with my hardware?

Thank you

battery charging
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

But in a 4P config I would get 40v/32a, would it still work with the victron 100/30?

It would be best to run your proposed array through Victron online MPPT calculator. to ensure that your array voltages and currents are within the mppt's input limits.

Have you set the charge current lower than the 30a limit?

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
To add to @klim8skeptic reply

The 30 in the MPPT model number is output current. The 32 form your panel specification is theoretical max, but will be controlled by the MPPT.

Max power to the batteries (assuming enough light on the panels etc.) is 30*charge voltage. Assuming 28.8V this is over 800W.

The electronics in the MPPT are very efficient. Changing the panel configuration to 4P will have no real effect unless you inadvertently fix a fault you're not aware of.

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
ingo21 avatar image
ingo21 answered ·

"I originally started with 2 panels setup in parallel yielding max 380w charging rate"

with 2 panels at 320watt each you should have more than 380w charging // it should be more like 550 to 600 watt // in good conditions

i have the same charger with 1 panel 360 watt and at best depending on temperature of the panel and sun angle the charger charges the full 360 watt of the panel.

i also have a 100/50 charger with 2 panels parallel 340 watts which charges up to 780 watts best conditions.

you should check all your settings in your charger and maybe the connection of the solarpanels

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ninjabojo avatar image
ninjabojo answered ·

Thank you for all the responses. Not really sure what happened but the issue resolved itself when I re saved the Battery voltage to 24v and Max charge current to 30A setting. Weird thing is, that was what it was set to originally.

2 |3000