question

mfred68 avatar image
mfred68 asked

micro inverter array mixed with string array for charging

I currently have a 3kw micro inverter grid tied system installed, but i'm planning to go off grid and add a further 10kw string solar system vired to a victron quatro 8000va inverter.

I want to charge a 20kw battery bank with all my solar panels (including the micro inverter array) is this possible? how do I wire the micro inverter array to the quattro inverter, on the AC in terminals or on the AC output terminals? if its on the output, it would mean I can leave the solar array connected where it currently in in my consumer unit.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Adam avatar image
Adam answered ·

Yes this can be done , you will need to make sure that your micro inverters can facilitate frequency dependant power reduction ( frequency shifting) so that the quattro has some control over them when in inverting mode ( island) ( will also need to install the PV assistant in the quattro and configure for appropriate frequency settings), the best way to incorporate more solar would be to DC coupe using Victron MPPT's. And yes, you keep the AC coupled micro inverters on the output side providing they can freq shift.

hope this helps,

PS: If you decide to hook up a generator make sure to disable the AC coupled when generator is running.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfred68 avatar image
mfred68 answered ·

I have Emphase microinverters, do they have frequency shift? and what is PV assistant ? is this hardware or software? Im still learning before taking the plunge.

2 |3000