question

dirk-s avatar image
dirk-s asked

Efficiency 16s, 17s, 18s

Hello,

Currently I'm using pylontech US3000C batteries with a Multiplus II GX 5000. The cells are 15s inside Pylontech. Nominal Voltage 48V.

I plan do make a DIY Batterie with at least 16s. But could also make the battery with 17s or 18s. I will never charge more than 3,55V per Cell.

Will the Multiplus be more efficient with the higher voltages or is there no effect?

Thanks so far.

Bye Dirk

Multiplus-II48v battery
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

apple047 avatar image apple047 commented ·
Hi @Dirk_S

Just checking if you went ahead with your project? Any complications:advice you may have?

I’m contemplating of going all in with 18s, checked the MPPT and it goes up to 65V, inverter the same, shunt it ok, no other components connected to the DC lines, Cerbo is on a separate 24V supply

0 Likes 0 ·
dirk-s avatar image dirk-s apple047 commented ·
No, because of a big health issue I stopped it. I still use my 6 US3000C.
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

there would be no measurable effect I would think.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

you will definitly have more power available. As you have same Amps, but more Volts

3 comments
2 |3000

dirk-s avatar image dirk-s commented ·
Current will reduce and power remains the same as far as I know.
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa dirk-s commented ·

why should current be reduced? You have any source or manual that says so?

0 Likes 0 ·
dirk-s avatar image dirk-s pedaaa commented ·
I have read it here or in an other forum from a user, who observed it on his installation.
0 Likes 0 ·
jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

not more power but more energy, yes

just keep in mind that

- choosing a 16S or 17S architecture will make it incompatible with any existing pylontech (15S)

- 17S means voltage can goes as high as 62V (3,65x17) all your hardware must be able to accept such a voltage

2 comments
2 |3000

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented ·
also more power.

say a multi 5000 does 70A max.

with a typical 15S voltage of 50V thats 3500W Power.

With a 17S system at same charge level, you would have 56,7V, which will provide 3967W

0 Likes 0 ·
Pylontech will be replaced. Other hardware accept higher voltage.

Do you know something about efficiency?

Power will not increase. Multiplus is controlled by power and heat development as far as I know.

0 Likes 0 ·
dirk-s avatar image
dirk-s answered ·

I will replace my Pylontech. So no issue at all. I will never charge up to 3.65 Volt. Max Voltage per Cell ist 3.45 Volt. I never use more. It is not necessary for Lifepo4.

2 |3000

Stan avatar image
Stan answered ·

First limitation is BMS. Not all can handle 18S.

Second limitation is mppt. Victron I think can charge to 64V, but I have never tried it.

Third limitation is inverter. MP2 has input voltage 38-66V, so it is ok, but better to check other inverters, just to be sure.

Forth is the law. Voltage above 60V is not considered as "safe" voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks, but first I will use a JK BMS which is flexible up to 24 cells.

Second, I will not use MPPTs.

Third point: I want to use Multiplus. No other inverters. In case in future is there an issue, I will remove one cell. It is DIY and very flexible.

Do you know something about efficiency increase?

0 Likes 0 ·
hardy-tuner avatar image
hardy-tuner answered ·

All mppt delivering more power with higher voltage, limiting factor is the Ah from mppt.For example:

Pylontech @52V with 20A =1040W

Selfmade 17s @58.9V with 20A = 1178W

So around 13% more power delivery with one mppt is possible…

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes