question

tranzorb avatar image
tranzorb asked

Victron + Fronius ESS with Fronius Energy/Load Management

Hello to all the Community,

Just a small introduction, I am new to this community, and quite new in storage systems area, so my apologies for maybe a basic question and maybe unapropriate terminologies, feel free to correct me...

So here is the point :

I am planning on designing a grid connected ESS with zero feed-in as per the schematic below :

my-setup.jpg

The Fronius inverters can do what Fronius calls "Energy management", ie can drive loads (up to four , what I call Managed load in the draing above) depending on solar energy production and parameters set on the Fronius Data Manager board.

So my question is : Is it still possible to do Energy Management by using the Fronius Datamanager outputs to drive the managed loads, when the Fronius is used in conjunction with the Victron system EXACTLY as per my setup above?

Thanks for your help....

ESSvictron productsFronius
my-setup.jpg (150.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes it can, my own personal system does this now with hot water heating,

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tranzorb avatar image tranzorb commented ·

@Rob Duthie

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your answer, I am actually planning to do the same, for hot water heating as well.

Do you confirm that like in my setup you do not use the Fronius Meter, but the inbuilt Victron one?

Thx,

Fred

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Use both meters the Victron and the Fronius as they are independant in the calcualtions etc.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Tranzorb

The Zero feed in feature is here.

As for load management there are several options for switching on and off those.

2 |3000

tranzorb avatar image
tranzorb answered ·

@Rob Duthie

I have read in many Victron user manuals that one should not use both meters; actually I am very interested in your setup, it would be great if you could post it here so we could all understand how you achieved this.

@Alexandra

Thank you for your answer but the point is really my question (load management with a Fronius/Victron configuration EXACTLY as per my setup above), not how to do the zero feed in. Rob setup is working so obviously there is a way, hopefully Rob will be able to post it.

Thanks a lot for your help much appreciated.

2 comments
2 |3000

CristiMV avatar image CristiMV commented ·
I'm actually using both meters, one for Victron and one for Fronius. The Victron meter is on the grid side AC-IN, while the Fronius is on the consumption path AC-out. I needed for a Fronius Ohmpilot. The system works fine without any issues.
1 Like 1 ·
tranzorb avatar image tranzorb CristiMV commented ·
@cristimv

Thanks a lot I am getting a much better picture.

if possible coud you send a rough diagram of you setup showing the position on the Fronius meter relative to the Fronius inverter and the Victron one ? More specifically, I need to know if the Fronius meter is between the AC-out of the Victron and the AC-out of the Fronius, or just between AC-out of the Fronius and your loads. (a diagram would be the best!)

Also, can you confirm that your configuration is zero feed-in?

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike avatar image
Mike answered ·

I have a very similar system victron Fronius ESS system. There is another feature that you should consider is the programable digital outputs that you have on your Fronius. It is all ab load management.

There are 4 programable digital outputs on the Fronius. The 4 outputs are there so you can program and power relays to distribute your power. That is what I do. One is programmed to close a relay when the Solar is producing 500w. This turns on a fan in the equipment room. Another relay is turned on when the Solar is producing 1500w. This powers the hot water.
They are put there by Fronius so hot water or pool pumps are always powered by Solar power directly. There are really handy when designing a system. And a very efficient use of power.

Any excess power is fed to the batteries via the victron, and any surplus power is fed back to the grid.

Here is the Fronius document….

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiEiJnQ2u_6AhWKDrcAHaT6DDcQFnoECA8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fronius.com%2F~%2Fdownloads%2FSolar%2520Energy%2FWhitepaper%2FSE_WP_Energy_flow_management_using_the_four_digital_outputs_EN.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3bKchE1Fzmzsdr5NJ22ybE

5 comments
2 |3000

@Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your answer; this is exactly what I want to do, and I exactly want to use the Fronius digital outputs of the Fronius Datamanager board, but I guess my first post is not clear enough (so I will clarify it).

Would it be possible for you to post your setup? Also, I mentionned that my system is zero feed-in. Does it still work in this condition?

If you can't post your setup, can you describe it? My main concern is where did you connect the Fronius and did you use any meter (and where)? What kind of assistant did you load in the Victron?

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike avatar image Mike commented ·

I have not attempted it, but the victron cerbo can communicate with the Fronius and achieve zero export. When the cerbo communicates with the Fronius, it does so directly, not via frequency shift.

2. GX Devices & Fronius PV Inverters

By connecting a Fronius PV Inverter and GX device (eg Cerbo GX) together you will be able to:

1. See Fronius information on the GX Device.

2. Monitor the Fronius on the VRM Portal.

3. Allow the Victron system to control the Fronius output power, Zero feed-in. See the ESS manual, chapter 2.1.3 Fronius Zero feed-in for details.

Here is the document…..

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:fronius

0 Likes 0 ·
tranzorb avatar image tranzorb Mike commented ·

@Mike

Thank you for your answer and sending me some references. I had already gone through it but unfortunately it is not relevant to my configuration, because it just tells that we can make zero feed-in, but we still do not know if we can make Energy Management AND zero feed-in, as per my setup.

So I understand that you are feeding power to the grid, right? Would you mind posting a drawing/diagram (handmade is fine!) of your setup, for better understanding? Also, did you use ESS assisant or another one?

Thank you,

0 Likes 0 ·

Up.... Thx, Fred

0 Likes 0 ·
tranzorb avatar image tranzorb tranzorb commented ·
Up thx

Fred

0 Likes 0 ·