question

mduchaine avatar image
mduchaine asked

Orion TR 24/48 2.5 not charging LiFePo

I have a 10Kwp PV with 12Kwh 48V LiFePo batteries. I added an Orion TR 24/48 2.5 on the 48V bus (output orion). Input of the Orion is a 24V 24AH lead battery charged by my wind generator.

orion-tr24-48-25.jpg

The Orion is not pushing energy into the 48V bus. I've regulated the voltage anywhere from 51V to 56V, the moment I connect the output of the orion to the 48V Bus, output voltage drops to the same voltage of the bus but the power meter doesn't show any energy going into the bus.

Is the Orion simply to light for the task or is the idea just wrong? 2.5A is nothing I know, it's a proof of concept setup. The power meter is sensitive enough to register mA going one way, or the other, I expected to see 'something'. BTW, this is not a Smart TR.

Thanks for helping me understand,
Regards,

MPPT ControllersLithium Batteryorion dc-dc
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

@mduchaine

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but note that the 24/48 is a converter, not a charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
mduchaine avatar image mduchaine Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Simple goal: add a 24V wind turbine to provide additional energy at night or cloudy days.

Don't need a charger, the 48V batteries have BMS.
The orion steps up the 24V from the wind generator to 51.2V, the same voltage the Solar MPPT Invertor uses to charge the batteries, when there is sun.
I've seen similar setup in many blogs, using Orions.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

This should work, Have you tried loading the orion when it is isolated from the bus?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mduchaine avatar image mduchaine commented ·
I will verify if the orion is able to power a 48V load. It's not easy to find one - not as usual as 12V appliances :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
krl avatar image krl mduchaine commented ·

4 x car bulbs in parallel?

0 Likes 0 ·