question

coreyf avatar image
coreyf asked

absorption and float LEDS flashing simultaneously with no power coming from the panels

I have a MPPT 100/50 12volt Easy Solar system, not plugged into mains power and up until this morning i have had 4 panels charging my batteries. I've just put 2 more panels on and come inside to find the absorption and float LEDS flashing simultaneously with no power coming from the panels at all. All i can find about it tells me i have battery issues but since i just messed with the panels i find this highly unlikely. can any one help, i'm really stressed out at the moment as i don't know if I've damaged anything either

battery chargingfloat
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kristof G. avatar image
Kristof G. answered ·

battery or pv over voltage

you can download the app "victron toolkit" in the app store (google play store)

and check the meaning for all the leds

did you look at the total pv voltage the is comming into the mpp? ( measure end of cables when to sun is at it ( total VOC)

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

coreyf avatar image coreyf commented ·

Downloaded the app, told me there was a battery temp issue. find this highly unlikely as i just messed with panels.

Don't know how to measure this, battery monitor says there is 1-2 watts coming down from the panels

0 Likes 0 ·

I was told by the supplier that the extra panels would be the max the system could take. he didn't have the exact same panels though (original 4 are 260W and the new 2 are 270W) but he said this would be fine.

0 Likes 0 ·

I've disconnected the 2 extra panels and the alarm has gone off. so it must be the extra power coming down, might be to much for the system, despite what the supplier said.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kristof G. avatar image Kristof G. coreyf commented ·

The total voc of the panels in serie CAN not be over 100v on your mppt.

0 Likes 0 ·

These are the 4 original panels

These are the 2 new panels

0 Likes 0 ·
img-01.jpg (91.6 KiB)
img-02.jpg (88.2 KiB)
Kristof G. avatar image
Kristof G. answered ·

Can you post pic of the label on the back of the panels (the 2 diff.) And how many you put in serie on the mppt?

4 comments
2 |3000

Original 4

New 2

0 Likes 0 ·
img-01.jpg (91.6 KiB)
img-02.jpg (88.2 KiB)
Kristof G. avatar image Kristof G. coreyf commented ·

So the max is 2 in serie for your mppt...

37.9v + 38.1v or lets say every panel 38v... serie = voltage + / panel

0 Likes 0 ·
coreyf avatar image coreyf Kristof G. commented ·

So your saying it won't handle the extra 2 panels?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ coreyf commented ·

No, Kristof isn't saying that, but he's right on the issue. Your panels are ~38Voc, so you should wire them in pairs, so each string will have a Voc of <100V (your mppt limit). So 3x parallel strings of 2x seriesed panels.

If you wired them all in parallel, your Isc would exceed the mppt's limit too, so 2S3P for you.

Feeding 12V, your /50 is well overclocked, so you'll rarely see >700W production. But it'll work well in bad weather, fire up early, and sleep later.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic