question

energy-z avatar image
energy-z asked

Can a Multiplus work like a grid tie inverter

Hi,

Can a Multiplus works like a grid tie inverter?

If yes, how can it be done?

Thanks in advance,

José.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargergrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

If you mean as a 'standard' household ac-coupled inverter like a Fronius or SMA, then no it can't.

Victron don't make kit like that, but the Multi can work with them. The Multi is battery orientated, separate purpose.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

With MPPT plus batteries it can, but indeed, the question is quite vague.

0 Likes 0 ·
energy-z avatar image energy-z boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi Boekel, JohnC answered the question correctly. The objective I intended was to use it like a grid tie inverter connected to the grid/loads, but since it's not possible I have to redesign the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
energy-z avatar image energy-z commented ·

Ok, thanks for the answer.

By the way the multiplus II, is a inverter that can feed power back to the grid/loads working like a SMA or Fronius inverter, right?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ energy-z commented ·

Yes it can. It can do it with either ac or dc -coupled kit, or both. Call it ambidextrous. :)

What it isn't is a standalone pv inverter. Essentially it's a batt inverter that needs batts, but with everything else added/compatible. Powerful kit - get to know it better..

0 Likes 0 ·
energy-z avatar image energy-z JohnC ♦ commented ·

Nice :)

Yes, I also thing it's a great product. I already suggest to Victron that they should start to produce High voltage Inverters, that way they could reach a bigger market, because they have nice products, nice comunity, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave van Dongen avatar image Dave van Dongen energy-z commented ·

Actually Victron sold grid-tied PV inveters until around 2014. But they were too expensive compared to the (Chinese-made?) inverters of the competition.

Some suppliers still seem to sell old stock:
https://www.advitek.nl/merken/victron/victron-bluesolar-grid-connected-1500-converter.html

https://bluesolarenergy.co.za/victron-products/bluesolar-grid-inverter-5000/

0 Likes 0 ·