question

jurij-merc avatar image
jurij-merc asked

Blue Smart IP22 12V 30A 3 Outputs

I have 1 lead start battery 100Ah and another Service LiFePo4 150Ah and Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 30A charger(3). Does this mean that each output of the charger is only 10A when the charger is declared with a capacity of 30A? I would be interested to know how much current the second service battery is charged with when a load of about 25A is connected to it and the starter battery is full?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gyzko avatar image
gyzko answered ·

Does this mean that each output of the charger is only 10A when the charger is declared with a capacity of 30A?

No.

This is a dynamic system where the most emptied battery receives more current first. The sum of current coming out of the 3 outputs is 30A.

I would be interested to know how much current the second service battery is charged with when a load of about 25A is connected to it and the starter battery is full?

No more than 5A for sure.

Also, be careful, a new charging cycle can be started in function of charging profile configuration.

See section 4.3 of the manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Blue_Smart_IP22_Charger_manual_230V/en/operation.html

Finally, the elephant in the room

There is only one charging profile in the IP22. As you have different battery chemistry, it is better to use a different charger for each battery. The charging profile of a LiFePo4 and Lead batteries are not the same. Recipe for a disaster...

-François

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jurij-merc avatar image
jurij-merc answered ·

Thank you for the explanation. I think that the BMS in the battery takes care of the charging curve for LiFePo4 independently of the charger. I guess that shouldn't be a problem? But I am worried if the charging current of the charger for the service battery does not reach the charging requirement when it is under load.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

It is not recommended to charge lead acid and lithium at the same time, due to the differing absorption times required for each chemistry.

Victron Energy Tech Talk.

0 Likes 0 ·
jurij-merc avatar image jurij-merc klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Yes, of course, I will just connect the LiFePo4 service battery, and I will charge the starter separately with an independent charger.

0 Likes 0 ·