question

martinhh1 avatar image
martinhh1 asked

Combining different Victron Lifepo battery Ah size on one 12V bus - compatible?

Our boat has 2 Victron battery boxes with 4x90Ah Lifepo4 batteries installed in 2017 (in total 8x90Ah batteries). Color Control shows 166 total charge cycles.

All batteries in one box deteriorated in the past weeks or months and two batteries failed entirely with low voltage and don’t take a charge anymore. One battery seems okay but triggers a high voltage alarm.

I would like to replace the 90Ah batteries, assuming they are not repairable. The problem is, that the battery box does not accommodate the new 100Ah Smart Lifepo4 form factor. The idea is to replace the 2 bad batteries with one 200Ah Lifepo4. I would connect all batteries to the one existing BMS via the Can-bus cables. Both battery boxes connect individually to the same 12V bus bar.

1) Is this a viable solution?

2) What could be the source for the imbalance in one battery box?

3) Would it be advisable to replace all 4 batteries in this battery box with two x 200Ah?

Would love to learn from the community what to do!

Martin

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·

i use two shunts with their own BMV712.

that way you can program each set of batteries with their own specific config data

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources