question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

Fronius "Running (Throttled)" - what does it mean?

In my Remote Console I see info that my Fronius has status "Running (Throttled)".

My Fronius is connected at AC-in side of MP-II so there is no need to use FQ throttling when battery is full and no grid.

If Fronius is throttled, how it is done and why?

screen-shot-2022-10-10-at-123245-pm.png

remote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@MarekP

The frequency shifting will work the same way as it does on AC out through the Comms.

And if there is no grid, it has to be throttled where does the excess PV go?

15 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

@Alexandra

When Fronius is connected to AC-in and grid is gone, Fronius just switches off, as normal ON-grid inverter should. No FQ shifting is necessary.

I stll do not know why in my Remote Console I see info that my Fronius Status is: "Running (Throttled)"?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ marekp commented ·

@MarekP Do you have an export limit?

Throttled to keep within export limit.?

Can also have power op reduced due to high ac voltages.

1 Like 1 ·
marekp avatar image marekp klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@klim8skeptic

Yes I have an export limit but it is set at 10000 and Fronius is producing only 7601.

Fronius is producing on the AC-in side and two DC coupled MPPTs are also set to "Feed in excess". When the sum of production is above export limit the MPPTs are throttled down because they are "Ex. controlled".

I turned the The "Limit system feed-in" OFF and Fronius status changed to "Running (MPPT)"

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-92324-am.png

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-92448-am.png

If my export limit setting answers the "why" question, the question "How" still remains.

How system can throttle down Fronius that is connected at AC-in? It cannot do it with FQ shifting.

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-93649-am.png

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ marekp commented ·

How system can throttle down Fronius that is connected at AC-in? It cannot do it with FQ shifting.

There are other ways to control the output power. Google it. (I dont know specifics)

Victron-Fronius AC coupling. doc is probably a starting point.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@klim8skeptic

I Googled it but the only info about throttling Fronius is when "Zero Feed in" is required and Fronius is on AC-in side.

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-85656-pm.png

I could not find this setting in my GX.

There is only this and there is noting to set up.

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-85512-pm.png

The link to Victron-Fronius AC-coupling is only on the AC-out connected Fronius.

I found there this table.

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-74727-pm.png

The State "Running (Throttled)" is described as "running but power is being throttled" and I do not understand if this "throttling" is happening when this state is shown, or it is just possible when certain conditions are met.

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa marekp commented ·

as said, i have the same.

As soon, as you enable the "limit system feed-in", my 2x Fronius are shown as "running throttled", as they now have the ability to be externally throttled by Modbus TCP.

Victron could now control the fronius.

But as you set the feed-in limit higher, as the fronius actually can produce, it will not "really" be throttled.

It just is waiting, "ready to be throttled"

Only, if you set a lower system feed-in limit, it really will be throttled and will produce less power because of Modbus TCP throttling.

At least, that are my observations so far

1 Like 1 ·
marekp avatar image marekp pedaaa commented ·

@Pedaaa

You probably right, but I would like to know when Fronius is throttled not when it could be throttled.

The State "Running (Throttled)" is confusing and not providing useful information.

I can see when Fronius connected at AC-out is throttled because I see the output frequency.

0 Likes 0 ·

You need to differentiate in what mode you are operating:

In an ESS, as long as grid is connected, the froniusses are controlled (throttled) by Modbus TCP, not frequency shift.

Victron does this, regardless, if they connected to AC-In or AC-Out.

Once you select an active "feed in limit", this control-strategy is "active"

But once grid fails -> The Fronius on AC-in is kicked out as AC-In relays open

And the Fronius on AC-out is not controlled by modbus anymore, but now with frequency shift. And it needs microgrid gridcode settig to follow this strategy without shut down all the time

0 Likes 0 ·

@Pedaaa

I do not mind Victron controlling Fronius production in ESS mode.

I simply would like to know when it is doing this "controlling".

In my system there is no reason to control down my AC-in connected Fronius because my feed in limit is higher than Fronius can produce.

MPPT chargers that are also set to feed in, can easily be controlled down to zero if need be.

AC production efficiency of Fronius is much higher than MPPT charger są controlling MPPT down, when feed in limit is reached, is more logical than controlling Fronius down.

0 Likes 0 ·
i am not sure about the control strategy here. But i think it is anyhow, as your saying. I think MPPT's are limited first, if feed-in gets too high, then PV Inverter follow? But not 100% sure about that now.

But... if you dont need feed-in limiting at all.... why not disable it completely?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Pedaaa

I need to control feed-in because I cannot feed-in more than 10kW.

My Fronius has 10kW max power and MPPTs are 6kW.

I noticed that MPPTs are throttled first but I am not certain if Fronius is throttled also at the same time with MPPTs.

When Fronius "Status" tells me "Running (Throttled)" I have no way of knowing.

I just noticed that "Zero feed-in power limit" today is 10000W when production is 5220W.

screen-shot-2022-10-13-at-100248-am.png

Yesterday was 150W when Fronius production was ZERO (no Sun)

screen-shot-2022-10-11-at-85512-pm.png

What this "Zero feed-in power limit" represents?

0 Likes 0 ·

i will watch this, but i think, thats the max. power victron allows this fronius to produce currently.

i will limit feed-in later, if sun comes out, and look at it, to see if it lowers before, same time or after the MPPT power..

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ marekp commented ·

@MarekP

Ah so they should be off entirely.

I have never used them on AC in. So i could not say for sure.

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

i have the same: I have one Symo on AC-in and one on AC-Out. Both are "Running (Throttled)", even though they produce full power.

2 |3000

smart-home avatar image
smart-home answered ·

I have noticed the same behaviour, but it is completely unrelated to all comments so far…….
Updating Venus OS to v2.91 is when my Fronius started showing “Running throttled” rather than “Running MPPT”.
Previously, it would only show throttled when it actually was being ramped down and limiting output. Now it shows all the time!

Perhaps related - my MultiPlus II now shows a “Bulk Protect” message too.

1 comment
2 |3000

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented ·

oh... that might be possible. I started with OS 2.90 and still have this one installed.

Maybe Victron included a bug here? Is this something to post in "modification" section?

1 Like 1 ·
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

I have the same problem. I have two Fronius Symo 10, one conected to AC-IN and one to AC-OUT of a 3 phase Victron Multiplus 5000 system + a Victron 150/85 MPPT. My export limit is at 11kW. Each Fronius has 9kw of panels connected, one using both mppts with two strings, one oriented east and one west, and the 2nd Fronius has only one mppt active with one set of panels facing south. So normally, mid-day, the 2nd one should reach close to 9k production. Instead is running throttled after the other one, matchig his production which is never above 5-6k. The result is even if I have a high consumption (charging the car, etc), still the system is not increasing the production and there are cases when is taking power from the grid. Could it be a bug in the ESS assistant, as I have defined that there is a PV inverter connected on AC-OUT of just 9kW (as it actually is)? I will try to modify it and see if there is any change.

2 |3000

CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

Short update: I have modified the inverter power and pv panel levels in the ess assistant (from 10000w to 15000w as maximum accepted by a 3 phase Multiplus 5000), and no change. Still both Fronius have a matching (almost identical) instant production level, even if they have different strings with different orientations. I will open up a ticket to Victron.

2 |3000