question

adnan-farooq avatar image
adnan-farooq asked

Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18A Isolated DC-DC charger in combination with solar regulator to charge Aux battery

I have bought the 150W solar panel with regulator (Lithium compatible) and purchased Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18A (220W) Isolated DC-DC charger. The Aux battery is lithium of 100Ah.
I want to know:

a) can i connect DC-DC output and solar regulator output at the same time to the Aux battery?

b) what is the maximum capacity of lithium and AGM/GEL battery I can connect with this Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18A (220W) Isolated DC-DC charger? is there any chart?

orion-tr smartorion dc-dc
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
A: make sure the battery charge settings are the same in both Orion and solar controller.

B: Base charger sizes on available input and the total max charge recommended by the battery maker. If you are below this (total of both chargers), it is safe and charge time becomes the limit on battery size.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ludo avatar image
ludo answered ·

A: yes

B: there is no maximum limit

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adnan-farooq avatar image adnan-farooq commented ·

Is Victron solar controller BlueSolar PWM-LC12/24V-30A is lithium compatible

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ adnan-farooq commented ·
All the current Victron controllers are lithium compatible. But why the switch from 12/12V to 24V?
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image ludo commented ·

Please only use mppt regulators, pwm has poor efficiency

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ludo commented ·
Depends on local conditions. There is a good case for PWM in some areas.
0 Likes 0 ·
ludo avatar image ludo kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Pls explain how and where pwm could be better ?
0 Likes 0 ·