question

Anthony Kirkby avatar image
Anthony Kirkby asked

Remote console white screen with GuiMods

White screen on the Raspbery pi this evening. Rebooted a dozen times. During the reboot the screen shows the normal Victron logo's etc. I have never been able to get the auto dim feature to work and assumed the screen had gone west however it works and this appears to be some issue with the software? Anyone got an idea where to start looking? BTW the remote portal works but just seeing white screen text or settings to change.

Raspberry Pitouchscreen
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Apologies to all. I had failed to test what should have been a very simple change on Venus OS v2.89.

It's fixed now as of GuiMods v6.14. If you have automatic update on, your system should fetch the new version and eliminate the white screen.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jez71 avatar image jez71 commented ·
I've just found this post, I have the same problem with my Cerbo using a touch 50. I have tried reinstalling Venus os and reinstalling setup helper and guimods on a USB stick. I've lost remote access so can't SSH.

I have no idea what to do now

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem jez71 commented ·

If you do not have automatic package downloads and installs enabled then there's a way to force a GuiMods update from a flash drive.

Copy the latest GuiMods .tar.gz archive from GitHub to a flash drive:

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods/archive/refs/tags/latest.tar.gz

Create a file on the flash drive named AUTO_INSTALL_PACKAGES

(no suffix). It doesn't mater what the contents of the file are. Could be an empty file.

Place the flash drive in your Cerbo and power cycle it.

As an alternative, you can create a file named AUTO_UNINSTALL_PACKAGES on an otherwise empty flash drive and put that into Cerbo and power cycle it. This will uninstall all packages found on the system. You can then start from scratch with package installs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The white screen indicates the gui software has a problem. Check the log to see where the problem is or upgrade the firmware. Do so by booting to the previous version the a online update to the current version.

The gui log:

/data/log/gui/current|tai64nlocal

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

BTW, if you are running GuiMods, please let me know and try to get me the log mentioned above.

Uninstall GuiMods to make sure it's a problem with GuiMods and not the main gui fils.

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi All

Yes after a Victron update to 2.89 from older version you get the white screen, it still functions OK.

So use Win SCP to the back door to uninstall Guimods and its fine in command line.

Just tested some thing wrong with Venus update and Guimods not compatble.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Rob Duthie commented ·
I've been running GuiMods with v2.87, 2.89, 2.90 (betas) and now 2.91 with no issues.

If there are problems I'd certainly love to fix them. I'd need the gui logs:

/data/logs/gui/current

to see what's wrong.

If you can't get to the logs, Venus OS version and GuiMods versions will be essential for me to try to duplicate the issue.

GuiMods is at v6.11 currently.

Best post as an issue to GitHub GuiMods rather than here. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Anthony Kirkby avatar image
Anthony Kirkby answered ·

Guys thanks. I am away from the boat where the system is and will not be back for a week or so. I can’t control the pi through the screen or the remote console. On the VRM porthole, The entire left side of the screen where the options normally are is missing. The right hand side does not work. Yes I am running gui mods. No I can’t get to the log or do anything other than replace the software which is on the sd card as I run Macs and do not have any win software on them. I am guessing that I need to redo the sd card with the latest and that will fix the issues? If so does anyone have the link to the file? My computer knowledge runs as far as loading an sd card in the right format not writing or adapting code. Thanks Ant.

2 |3000

kylecm avatar image
kylecm answered ·

Sorry to hop on this question, but mine is similar.

Cerbo GX Touch 50 and Remote Console are both white screens.

• Firmware v2.87
  • GuiMods installed

iPhone and MacBook (I don't have a PC).

The Remote console does not have a menu to select to revert to a different firmware. How can I either remove the GuiMods or revert to another firmware without being able to get to the menu and not having a PC?

Thanks

Chuckremote.jpeg

remote.jpeg (50.8 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Anthony Kirkby avatar image Anthony Kirkby commented ·
That’s great t as soon as I get back I will have a go at updating as I have the automated updates set

Thanks Ant

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Anthony Kirkby commented ·
If you have automatic downloads and automatic install turned on you should have already received an update and the white screen issue resolved automatically. If not, maybe you don't have auto downloads enabled or you don't have an internet connection.
0 Likes 0 ·
Anthony Kirkby avatar image Anthony Kirkby Kevin Windrem commented ·

Hi Kevin. While I was away I turned the WiFi off so the update did not upload. However, I am now back on the boat and the WiFi is reconnected. It is pretty fast so I would have thought the update would have uploaded over the last hour or so? But I still have a white screen showing. Is there a way to prompt this to happen? It is on line as I can see the remote console on line (via VRM link). Regards Ant. EDIT! Now working fine THANK YOU!!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Anthony Kirkby commented ·
A reboot will sometimes speed up the scanning for updates.
0 Likes 0 ·
basti-80 avatar image
basti-80 answered ·

Hello

I have exactly the same problems with the white screen. V.289 and GUI Mods. The System in the backround works normally as far I can see, but both the Display and the Remote Desktop show white screen. I think the Problem arises with the automatic Update of GUI Mods, because I`ve had VRM on version 2.89 for a while without any Problems.

1 comment
2 |3000

basti-80 avatar image basti-80 commented ·

Just now the System is back to normal, the white screen is gone. It seems like the System did an new Update ( Gui 6.14) and now it`s running normally again. Many Thanks, that saves the Holiday.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrmicro avatar image
mrmicro answered ·

Hi,

I have s simlar issue. I'm a little new to VE Cerbo GX, so please forgive any stupid questions.
I had a fully functional system up and running, with batteries, BMS (123SmartBMS), VRM portal etc. When updating to the "large" image of Venus OS, according to https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large (chapter 3 "How to install and update"), my screen became completely white as decribed above.
I have tried just about everything I can find online, and also the "AUTO_INSTALL_PACKAGES" with the latest version of the GuiMod on both USB-stick and SD card, and "AUTO_UNINSTALL_PACKAGES" as suggested above. But nothing seemes to help. Since I have no screen information I relly don't know if it is actually installing/uninstalling the packages.
Is there a way to "force" a complete re-installation of the Venus OS, without using the screen or "Remote Console" (i.e. not like described in chapter 6 in the manual, where you need to use the screen)? Or does anyone have any other suggestion how to solve the problem?

1 comment
2 |3000

rasmussen avatar image rasmussen commented ·
Did you find a fix?

I have a multiplus II gx with white screen atm....

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic