question

Riaan Barkhuizen avatar image
Riaan Barkhuizen asked

Battery Monitor[512], Alarm - High Voltage Alarms - Victron Multiplus and Pylontech Battery

Hi There,

This might be quite elementary to solve, however I keep getting high voltage alarms from the Pylontech battery at times of high solar yield.

What can be done to solve the problem. The alarms tend to show up at voltages below the recommended charge voltage settings, ie max voltage for absorption charging 53.2V and Float 53V in accordance with the manual.

I have downloaded logs for some of the alarm events, these can be found at the following link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19c45KZUPvGrVP4q_MgFSeSdjDPtzZu3r

Where could the alarm be triggered and why, and how could the setup/settings be changed to avoid or reduce the alarm event. At present it is a once a week occurrence.

Best Regards

Riaan

Pylontechvoltage
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

What other components are you using?

And what settings?

0 Likes 0 ·
Riaan Barkhuizen avatar image Riaan Barkhuizen boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi Boekel,

Components:

Victron Multi, 5kVA

Smart Solar 150/70, with 12 x 330W Panels

4 x 2.4kWh Pylontech Modules

Settings as per manual on all devices, Multi setup for ESS.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Riaan Barkhuizen commented ·

are all firmwares the latest? (multi, mppt, Venus)
DVCC enabled?
SVS?

0 Likes 0 ·
Riaan Barkhuizen avatar image Riaan Barkhuizen boekel ♦ commented ·

All updated to firmware to latest version except for battery itself.

DVCC is enabled, SVS is also enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Pylontech battery voltages have been reduced in firmware to help prevent this issue since it was reported.

If anyone is still experiencing this issue, please open a new question with all the details of your system, including VRM id and firmware version numbers.

More information here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/11225/dvcc-and-pylontech-battery.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Ok, there's your problem, SVS should be off (battery updates too slow so voltage can overshoot easily.

See Manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

10 comments
2 |3000

particle avatar image particle commented ·

I had 2x US3000 for half a year without voltage alarms and 100% SOC. SVS was on, not sure why. I added a third US3000 and now I had voltage alarms for a week, always at low charging currents. SOC reaches 97%.

SVS is off now. Battery monitor is Pylontech. When I had SVS on, behavior was the same. It seems SVS off causes 52.0 V instead of 52.4 V.

I don't worry much about 97% SOC. But should I wait longer for the alarms to hopefully go away or should I try to get the battery replaced?

3x Pylontech US3000, MPPT 250/85 rev 2, Multiplus 48/5000/70-100, Color Control GX, 6x 290 W panels (60 cells) in series, off grid.

Latest firmware 2.63 but 2.62 behaved the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ particle commented ·

hi @particle

new battery needs to balance, set to keep charged until it is balanced and doesn't give errors anymore.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

This happened my battery too, Set system to keep charge for a few days and the alarms all stopped.
They aren't balanced well from the factory.

0 Likes 0 ·
particle avatar image particle Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you all.

It's been 8 days and I worry that the supplier will say I waited too long.

Firmware 2.58: SVS off, 95%, 51.7 V, voltage warnings only

Firmware 2.63: SVS off: 97%, 52.0 V, voltage warnings and errors

Formware 2.63: SVS on: 97%, 52.4 V, voltage warnings and errors.

How many days total should I wait for the errors to stop?

New battery was produced 11 months ago. Old two batteries never threw voltage warnings or alarms.

Off-grid, batteries are full daily by 13:00.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ particle commented ·

when in doubt, read out the batteries to see the cell voltages.

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image CristiMV Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

correct...he needs to use the BatteryView software and the special console cable, which either he purchase it or he builds it....been there, done that :)

as reference, he can also use this post

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/2408-pylontech-us2000b-how-to-read-data-from-them/

0 Likes 0 ·
particle avatar image particle Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

The alarms and warnings have stopped now for 2 days.

SOC 100%. 52.4 V.

In my case, it took 11 afternoons on solar. A bit more than a "few days" that I've seen mentioned here and there.

Should these error messages mention that they're normal for a new Pylontech battery? Despite me researching and testing for hours, it was not clear if my battery was at risk or not.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @particle
'a few days' is for on-grid systems, in an off-grid system 100% SOC not reached long enough per day to quickly balance the batteries.

This information should really be in the batteries manufacturer manual, but I think we'll add it in our manual also:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#internal_error_shown_on_battery_status

0 Likes 0 ·

Great that you added that to your manual.

I hope I haven't missed it, but I think that

"Battery Monitor: Pylontech battery on CAN-bus"

should also be added to your manual.

(You told me to set that on the forum some time ago).

These were the only two issues that I couldn't resolve based on the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @particle

I think that battery monitor is automatically selected to Pylontech?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide