question

Paul B avatar image
Paul B asked

INFO ONLY and Update on Multiplus x 3 in Parralle with Error 17 occuring from time to time on the VE Bus

This is INFO only for those having this issue. with Error 17 and how I have been able to solve it on my current site. SO FAR that is.

I have tried to make this a article but I cant find a option on doing this.

This was a 20 Mtr Power boat and a existing site that had been installed quite a while ago in eurpoe but always been giving small issues.

Site Issues were Error 17 occurring from time to time with 3 x Multiplus 24/3000 230 connected in Parallel.

I also installed a color control CCGX to the site for remote backup

However the orginal DCC worked but the colour control would always be showing off and only showing multi as the inverter type

another issue was that it was very hard to program/configure the 3 inverters and to upgrade there firmware to 459.

Strange but if I connected on;y 2 of the units in Parralle then all worked fine so it seems that that extra cable distance was the issue.

Issues that I found

the three units had been connected with 3 positive and 3 neg cables all 20mm dia copper multi core and 7mtrs long Neg and Pos the next pair 7.4 mtrs long the next pair 7.8 Mtrs long, so I had 3 sets of cables to deal with all at a small difference in length.

Note that NOTE all cables are the same length, so I put a neg and a Pos Bus bar in close to the inverters and connected all 3 existing Pos Cables to the new Pos Bus Bar and all 3 existing Neg Cables to the New Neg bus bar

I then made 3 new sets of cables at 1 mtr each and connect these from the bus bars to the inverters.

This then solved my Color Control CCGX issue as it now correctly reported the Multiplus units, and the programing and firmware updates worked far better and so far the error 17 has not reoccurred.

SOLUTION

So inconclusion Check your cable lengths and make sure you run in preference one cable each pos and neg all the way to a Pos and Neg bus bars connecting cables close to the inverters and then run Cables from the bus bars to the inverters at ALL THE SAME LENGTH from the bus bars

I also put new Cat 6 interconnecting cables in but these did not solve the issue.

Hope this is i help to others

If you see any errors please advise

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi

I have had the same error 17 issue with 2x10kva Quattro’s connected to a bus bar with the same length dc cables on the positive and negative from each byd battery cabinet to the bus bar and the same length cables from the bus bar to the inverters

The error 17 can be anything from a couple of days to 3 between

Sorry to put a negative note on your finding but haven’t found your finding to work on the setup I have

Any other information you can share would be appreciated

Regards

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I have 40 mm of cable going to the bus bars 40mm pos 40mm neg are then 20mm from the bus bars to the Inverters so that 6 x 1 mtr cables

I even tried for test purposes to put 1 inverter leg on 15mm, and then I got lots of issues with error 17 even with NO LOAD

check your crimp connections

This is not a fix it all its just some info for others who maybe having issues

this install has 3 banks of 220 a/h 24 volt each

they will be changing to 600 a/h of lipo4 next mth

2 |3000

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

A general advice: buy a thermal camera and check for temperature (differences and build-up) on cables, connections, etc.

Doesn't have to be expensive (I have a 'Seek Thermal') and in my opinion a must-have for any installer.

2 |3000

mikeb avatar image
mikeb answered ·

Hi all

Any update as to how all is working ?

Regards

Mike

2 |3000