question

ecoworld avatar image
ecoworld asked

How to connect 2 VE.Can MPPT units to Multiplus II GX? (+ Smart Shunt)

I have limited space so opted for a 5kW Multiplus II GX and 2 x Smart Solar 150-70-VE.CAN MPPTS. On opening up the Multiplus II GX cover the CAN labels are different from the PDF Spec sheet and do not state VE.CAN but instead BMS-CAN! I have 3 devices that I need to connect to this 5kW Multiplus II GX (SN: HQ2205xxxx).

Q1. Can I somehow use the BMS-CAN ports as VE.CAN ports and change a setting somewhere? I’m happy to update firmware if required.

Q2. If I can’t use them can I use a dual USB hub/dongle on the USB port to get the 2 MPPTs communicating with the GX and then I can plug the smart shunt into the single VE.Direct port?

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@EcoWorld

For extra devices to GXs limited in connections, a usb hub can be used for the ve direct devices.

Use a powered one though.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ecoworld avatar image
ecoworld answered ·

Are you certain that a powered hub is required? That seems strange to me. That means you’d have to tap into the 230v output of the inverter just to parallel 2 usb inputs, kinda defeats the whole off grid thang don’t you think.

2 |3000

gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

You "may" get away with an unpowered hub, it depends how many devices you plug in and how much current each device needs? Typically a USB outlet will be good for up to 500mA, split across the hub you can do the maths.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @EcoWorld,

As others have mentioned, unfortunately for your model the CAN-bus port is limited to the 500 kbit/s BMS-Can setting.

So you will need to use the USB hub and VE.Direct to USB adaptors.

Future hardware revisions of the the MultiPlus-II GX and EasySolar-II GX product range will be updated to remove this limitation - the latest current advice on which models have been updated is located in footnote 23 of this GX product range page - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

For now this limitation is still described in the MultiPlus-GX data sheets and manuals.

2 |3000