question

denzel avatar image
denzel asked

What is the recommended Room Temperature for Victron Inverters /MPPTS to operate safe?

Hi,

I have 3 * 24/3000/70 Multiplus , 3 * 250/100 MPPT controllers and 6 * 220ah gel batteries in a 4 sq meter room.

The room currently is at 25 degrees on a cool day and up to 40 degrees on a Hot day. Here is South Africa we have alot of hot days,

Regards

MPPT Controllerstemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

A cooler room would be better of course, but you have to balance the cost of cooling that room in hot weather? If you would be using a large proportion of your solar energy cooling a room, then it would not make sense and better to de-rate for higher temperatures.

Consult the data sheets for the equipment to find out the de-rating factors for higher temperatures.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

denzel avatar image denzel commented ·

Hi, wkirby ,

Thanks for your answer, yes i agree with the ROI factoring eg: an aircon unit will draw more energy. In my case currently I'm producing more solar energy than I require during the day when my room is at it hottest. So, I plan to use that surplus energy for an aircon unit. It will also protect the investments lifespan to a degree ...

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Denzel

The tech specs section gives the operating range. each inverter is rated through the same temperatures. Most electronics do well around 25C (non condensing) and are usually nominally rated at that temperature.

What I have seen is affected by temps more than any other component is actually the batteries. And some manufacturers shorten their warranty window for hotter environments.

I have found an awning help on the smaller rooms/sheds to help keep the morning and afternoon sun off the walls if ROI on air con is a thing.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Denzel

to add. AGM life is halved by a 10C increase in operating temp.

1 Like 1 ·
toni-marin avatar image
toni-marin answered ·

Lo recomendado es entre 25° y 30°. Los equipos Smart que llevan Bluetooth no se recomiendan que superen los 50° ambientales ya que el dispositivo Bluetooth puede llegar a romperse.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual