question

gregdowling2016 avatar image
gregdowling2016 asked

Multiplus 5000, charging with mains

If I connect from mains power to charging socket with a 10a lead it trips mains power after about 5mins charging.

If i use my 15a lead it trips mains in a split second.

Any ideas?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You didn't say what your circuit breaker is rated at.
I don't know with how much power you are charging, but I'll assume it's maximum power ~3KW.

A 10A lead will have thinner wires and will offer some resistance and cause power to be lost as heat over its length. If your circuit breaker did not kick in after 5 minutes, the lead would most likely have melted since ~12A is going through it.
Your 15A lead will offer much less resistance to the circuit and allow the circuit breaker to do it's job more effectively.

A 5KVA MultiPlus is a heavy duty appliance and shouldn't be operated with mains leads. It should be properly installed with structured cabling and appropriate circuit protection.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gregdowling2016 avatar image gregdowling2016 commented ·

The lead im connecting is from mains house feed into the victron via rated plugs and fuses & trips its a full pro install. My brother is a electrician but out at mines atm so no contact.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ gregdowling2016 commented ·

Ah, cool. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Sorry, I assumed the worst from what I understood earlier.

0 Likes 0 ·
gregdowling2016 avatar image gregdowling2016 wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

All good any ideas AC input1 is set to 10amp should this be 15? And do you know where i can change this ive been there before but not 100% how

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Greg. That CCGX is handy. Go into it's Multiplus section and set the 'Input current limit' to 10A (say). Note that's in ac amps, so maybe 2300W. Your Multi is capable of accepting more than that of course, but you'd need to step up the breaker/wire size to handle it.

2 comments
2 |3000

Oh ok cool i will have a look at that, its very handy indeed, nxt to workout the phone app. ;-) cheers will go have a look now.

0 Likes 0 ·

JohnC cheers ok so should the AC input1 feed be 15amp if the supply is a 15amp plug?

When power coming in multicolour reads 10amp i get some photos i think yeh?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic