question

triphius avatar image
triphius asked

Cerbo GX integration with Firefly RV-C network (with firmware 2.9)

I am trying to connect my Cerbo GX (running firmware 2.9) to my existing Firefly RV-C network. At this point, the goal is to get the tank information from the SeeLevel RVC system that is already connected to the Firefly network (and is working). I would like to benefit from having the tank information available in both the Firefly system and the VRM dashboard, so I’m not looking to disconnect the SeeLevel from the Firefly network.

I have built a drop cable according to the pin out requirements for both sides of the system and set the Cerbo’s VE.Can port to RV-C mode as I am not using it for anything else. When I do this, I get device entries for the tank sensors on the Cerbo, but they are immediately not connected. Also, when viewing the VE.Can port menu on the Cerbo, the page continuously reloads. I managed to get to the network status page below this, and the state is ERROR-ACTIVE.

06eaad14-a500-4cb9-b885-6d06383960b5.jpeg

What’s also strange is that if I leave it all connected for a while, the sensors will update in VRM on rare occasions.

4eedfbcf-8e21-48db-b4ac-e0408787eaf1.jpeg

Anyone have any ideas what could be happening here and/or ideas on how to fix it so the devices stay online?

Thanks in advance!

cerbo gx
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

triphius avatar image triphius commented ·
I’ve done some additional testing. If I disconnect the 12v positive cable that feeds power to the Firefly components (V+ wire on the bus/drop cables), it shuts down the Firefly component and the SeeLevel devices connect perfectly fine through the existing wiring used by the Firefly system into the Cerbo.

I’m suspecting it’s either some kind of ID conflict or interference on the RV-C bus at this point.

Hopefully that additional information helps someone spark an idea!

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

triphius avatar image triphius commented ·
Hi @Stefanie

I have reviewed that post, but unfortunately I’m still having issues. I thought it would be good to post separately with the details of my issues and testing.

I thought it was particularly interesting to see that it started working fine once the Firefly equipment was powered down.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ triphius commented ·

Make sure the VE.Can side of the cable has only pin 3, 7 and 8 (GND, CAN-L and CAN-H) connected, not NET+ on pin 6. You may need to ask Garnet or Firefly for correct wiring on the RV-C side to power the Seelevel.

0 Likes 0 ·
triphius avatar image triphius Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I’ve got all the wiring correctly set up like that. I originally had V+ wired in on the Cerbo drop cable, which I have gotten rid of. The SeeLevel also had V+ wired in, despite not needing it (it is powered separately via the other connection on the display). Neither one of these changes fixed the constant resets on the Cerbo side. The only thing that “fixed” it was disconnecting power to the Firefly components. I’ve even tried unplugging each component drop cable (that I can find) to see if one of them was causing interference, but that didn’t yield any noticeable improvement either. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
red0801 avatar image red0801 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Can Pin 3 go to any ground source, or does it have to be the RV-C connector ground?
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ red0801 commented ·

If it's common ground, then it shouldn't matter. You must check this first to avoid a possible ground loop.

0 Likes 0 ·