question

Tom Ranson avatar image
Tom Ranson asked

MP ii DVCC: MP showing Absorbtion LED, MPPT's showing Bulk LED ("External Control")

Hi all,

In my setup (MP ii, DVCC, 2x MPPT 100/30, SmartShunt), I am observing some unexpected LED behaviour. All components running the latest available firmware.

The MP ii is in absorption mode and is accordingly illuminating it's Absorption LED, but the two MPPT's (Both showing as External Control) are illuminating their Bulk LED's. Surely the LED's should be synchronised as per the charge stage that the MP ii is in?

Multiplus-IIMPPT ControllersDVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

No, under external control/ESS it doesn’t work that way.

Victron toolkit app has some good explanations of LED state.

Go sign up to professional.victronenergy.com there are great online tutorials which will make things more clear.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson commented ·
Thank you for the tips. I wasn't even aware of that app, which I've now downloaded.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Tom Ranson

You usually see this behaviour when the ESS assistant is installed.

The Multi is in absorption reflecting your battery state.

Mppts are in bulk, as they are working in bulk (a state you want them in during the day) to provide for loads, they do not reflect battery state.

1 comment
2 |3000

Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson commented ·
Makes perfect sense, thank you. It seemed a little counter intuitive but I see where you are coming from with this.
0 Likes 0 ·