question

clump71 avatar image
clump71 asked

Blue smart ip22 charger 12/30(3)

• Hi I’m a noob so be gentle. I’m building a camper. Can I use the Blue smart ip22 charger 12/30(3) to charge my agm living battery and my starter battery at the same time to top up and when on hook up to support the living battery . Also the van might sit in winter for weeks can it keep both topped up.
  • Thanks in advance
battery charging
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Bump.

I cant see any problems charging an AGM and a flooded start battery with the same standard charge preset. 14.4v bulk/absorb > 13.8v float > 13.2v storage.

Do you intend to hardwire the charger to the batteries??

0 Likes 0 ·
clump71 avatar image clump71 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks for the reply. I’m very confused. 1)I have 2 agm in rear running in parallel do I use one live from charger?

2) do I use a second live to go to starter battery ?

3) does the charger know when one is charged and stop but carry on charging the agm’s for example.

If not what’s the point in have 3 separate live charger cables.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
gyzko avatar image
gyzko answered ·

The answer is "maybe".

It might work but it will not be good (or ideal) for the long term usage of your batteries. You have probably an AGM (living) and a FLA (starter). Different battery chemistry requires different charging profile. IP22 just support a single charging profile (Bulk and float voltage for example).

If you use a single charger, one of you battery will be either undercharged or overcharged. Both cases are bad for longterm usage of a battery.

The big question is "how much different" is the charging profile of your batteries...

You can also take a look of buying 2x IP65. Maybe extra cost but you will have the "perfect" charging profile for each of your batteries. Then, if one brokes while you are travelling, you can switch back and forth with just one.

Regarding

-François

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.