question

hugues avatar image
hugues asked

Unable to connect with Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 SM-T285

Victronconnect app unable to establish Bluetooth connection with SmartSolar MPPT or Multiplus inverter/charger, but bluetooth works for audio for example

Connection goes to 20% for a while, then comes back with usual unable to connect error

I followed the procedure to troubleshoot, make sure the device is not paired, cleared cache and data from BT app, location access is checked in app's permission.

It works fine from my other tablet, phone and MacBook pro,

But I bought this second hand tablet because it has a SIM card and not too expensive in case i got it stolen from my van:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 from 2016 model SM-T285

It came with Android 5.1, I then tried to upgrade to 7.1, same problem

I attach the service report from the tablet that works fine (using victronconnect app 5.8) and the log from the samsung tablet with problem ( i tried both 5.8 and 5.73)

edit: i'm unable to attach any file types here, message says "something went wrong, please try again", although i'm using .log extension, also tried .zip

I have uploaded them to my Google drive shared folder:

Good connection log

Bad connection log

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

Maybe some of your other devices are holding a connection, so switch off all other bluetooth connections and/or tablets/phones.

Have you looked (at the A6) wether you can downswipe the "messageline" completely (de: Benachrichtigungszeile) from android, to find the probably hidden message for pairing a bt-device?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hugues avatar image hugues commented ·
I just went back to try to be very sure, I switched off the bluetooth of the other 3 devices and unfortunately that did not make any change. While it's staying at 20%, I downswiped many times to check if there is any prompt to pair with the device, I could not find anything. Also tried to move to another screen and back. I hope Victron can look at my logs.

thanks for your input.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Hugues

We looked at the logs, and unfortunately we did not see anything that might be of help. What we can see is that the VictronConnect tries to connect, but the connection is never established. There is not much that VictronConnect can do differently. From the log, this seems more like a hardware or software wise issue with the tablet. Are you able to connect to other bluetooth devices (for example wireless headphones) using this tablet?

Something else that you can try is reset the tablet to factory defaults.

Another thing is to try the app "nRF Connect for Mobile" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=no.nordicsemi.android.mcp). This app can also scan for bluetooth low energy devices and connect to them. It would help to know whether this app is able to connect.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

hugues avatar image hugues commented ·

Thanks Thiemo for looking at my logs, much appreciated.

I am able to connect to other BT devices with my tablet, for example my lithium batteries have a Bluetooth BMS and with the app i can see the battery amps, voltage,...

I have installed the nRF Connect for Mobile app. It can see the SmartSolar and Multiplus Inverter, but it cannot establish a connection, it returns error 133 (0x85): GATT ERROR, which seems to be a generic error.

Not sure where to go from here, looks like I will have to find another tablet with a SIM card, but what is the probability that it won't work also....

0 Likes 0 ·