question

mark-l avatar image
mark-l asked

USB Disconnecting from Rasp Pi: Would I be better off buying a Cerbo GX?

This is my fairly simple set-up:

set-up-v12.jpg

...all works well at first but the Raspberry Pi drops the USB connections somewhere between 1-3 hours. It seems that most of the time it drops all 3 but sometimes 1 or 2 will remain connected.

screenshot-2022-09-12-at-072527.png

I have made 3 x VE.Direct connections from USB Serial cables to JST connectors
Link to USB Serial: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B7F72WVW

For the MPPT & SmartShunt outside, I have spliced the connections into a 6-core cable to pass through the wall. In total the length of run is about 3-4m and the run to the Inverter is about 60cm.

Reading similar issues on these boards, I thought it might be not enough power on the USBs so I added a good quality USB hub but I'm having the same issues.
Have I stretched the connectivity with the Raspberry Pi beyond reasonable limits and should I just bite the bullet, buy the Cerbo GX, and run VE.Direct connectivity skipping the USB completely, or will this be subject to the same fragility?

Many thanks

cerbo gxRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

That happens when your Pi's power supply is not big enough.I had the same issue which I solved by using a 3A USB power supply for the Pi. The powered USB-Hub could also help, but it sounds like your Pi still does not have enough power.

My Pi3+ GX now run 7 USB connections (using an unpowered hub) without issues.

The Cerbo is a good option if you don't have all the cables and Pi already. It draw it's power from your batteries directly so does not have a limit from any USB psu and that also means it does not need AC power.

But the cheaper option for you would be to just upgrade your Pi's PSU to at least 3A or more.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mark-l avatar image mark-l commented ·
Thanks - I've got a few more powerful USB C PSUs about, I'll try one of those and report back.
0 Likes 0 ·
Phil Gavin avatar image
Phil Gavin answered ·

I had USB issues from a cheap USB hub (powered) that disappeared when I swapped the hub out for an expensive one or went direct.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can also power the PI from your battery bank with an inexpensive DC-DC converter. There are many with a USB port for output that'll plug into the PI's power port. I ran Venus OS on a PI for a while using a DC-DC (5 volt output) converter with USB-C that plugged into the RPI 4. Never had any issues.

2 |3000

mark-l avatar image
mark-l answered ·

Thanks everyone but it doesn't look like it's the power to the Raspberry Pi. I tried a few different beefy power supplies, finally going to bed last night with the Pi plugged into my 91W Macbook Pro USB-C power supply.

But I woke this morning to this:

screenshot-2022-09-13-at-071057.png

:(I also tried with a different hub and then the 3 x USB direct into the Pi, but the same result just with varying failure times.

screenshot-2022-09-13-at-071612.png

I was hopeful yesterday evening after 5 continuous hours of data, but when I checked again at 9pm it had failed.

Then 3 hours and disconnection at midnight.

Would the Cerbo GX with VE.Direct connections be more stable?

2 |3000

Lars Filusch avatar image
Lars Filusch answered ·

i run my Raspberry on a DCDC converter direkt to the 5V and GND pins, i also supplies the USB HUB with the 5V DCDC , ncreasing the voltage a little bit over 5V also helps.

2 |3000

Eric M. avatar image
Eric M. answered ·

I actually have a similar setup, MultiPlus, SmartShunt and SmartSolar all going to a 4 port (unpowered) usb hub. This one. The hub is on a 20ft USB extension going to my RPi4 (rev 1.5). The Pi is powered off an 18w USB port on this device. The 90W USB C port powers my MacBook 15, mobile hotspot, and about 6 little devices charging like iPhones etc.

The only overload I had with this setup was when the Pi was also plugged into the same hub as my computer, when I initially plugged in the computer the Pi would see a power sag and restart, so I switched its power source...

Maybe give that 4 port hub a try?

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Maybe your USB RS232 converters are faulty or wrong wired.

I have no problems with a Pi4B powered by a single active USB hub on 12V, together with a 7" touch display, gps mouse, several VeDirect inputs, a MK3 Interface, RS485 interface for my BMS, wireless keyboard & mouse dongle, WLAN stick, USB Thumb drive for data logging when offline, several I2C and 1-Wire sensors etc.

Of course if you only have Victron gear, a Cerbo is great, but if you are into modifications and 3rd party sensors, a Pi is easier to modify and much more powerful.

1 comment
2 |3000

mark-l avatar image mark-l commented ·
Thanks - I don't think they're wrongly wired because they all work for a while and then, variously, drop out.
0 Likes 0 ·
mark-l avatar image
mark-l answered ·

UPDATE:

thanks all but I ran out of time, patience & talent so I gave in and bought the Cerbo GX.

Same USB -> Serial adaptors on the outside boxes (Smart Shunt & 100/30 MPPT) but made a VE.Direct cable for the 12/800 Phoenix Inverter.

Rock solid for 48h now.

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/212669/share/946c6dbf

As most of you suggested, I suspect it was a power issue somewhere along the line but I couldn't find a combo that worked reliably.

Thanks again

Mark

2 |3000