question

friaras avatar image
friaras asked

Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp 120V, single Output Battery Charger

Hello, so I'm confused, I have the charger which is a Victron smart charger 12v single output setup for Lithium batteries, most of the settings are at their default according to the Victron's profile. I took 8 Chins batteries down until the BMS triggered their low voltage cutoff, just to make sure all the batteries were at their lowest capacity. I let the batteries rest for 6 hours and their voltages were within specs. I then set them up on a parallel configuration, all cables are 2AWG pure copper with copper lugs, same length no resistance IAW with manufacturers recommendations. I hooked up the charger set for 15A and let them charge up for almost 24 hours so that they can charge up and equalize, with voltage checks periodically. Voltages were identical in all 8 batteries. The voltage got up to 13.50v and the charger changed to storage, never went into absorption and now is sitting in storage at 13.50v. The history tab on the Victron's app reads 13.50v and 15A still. Is this normal? Why it did it go from bulk to storage? Why did the charger stopped charging when it is setup to 14.2v? Is there a problem with the batteries? Is the charger working correctly? I have read some comments about the charger not charging to the set voltage of 14.2v. The batteries are fairly new and tested to capacity at the initial test. I changed from the LI profile to user defined and change the charging voltage to 14.40v to see if it charges the batteries to that point. Even thought the voltage per battery is identical at the moment the amperage draw per battery is different, some by too much variation IMHO, just took a reading and there are batteries taking anywhere from 1.4A to others taking 6.1A I'm thinking it should be very close at this stage something is not right or is it me freaking out? Thanks for the help in advance.20220911-081739.jpg

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If you go into expert mode, you'll see the bulk time limit is set. I don't think you can change from default 10h it on lithium.

Not a good idea taking your batteries this low, you will shorten the service life.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

friaras avatar image friaras commented ·
I saw it and it was at the default for Li profile, I disabled since I want these batteries to reach the set voltage with no more interruptions. I did get the lugs for the cables and changed the amps to 30A, I will chek on it tomorrow see if they are done. You want to check to see if the low voltage cutoff works as soon as you get the batteries, if it don't work you can return the batteries or get a replacement. Thanks again.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Please post a screen shot of the battery settings in the charger. Might be that by having so many batteries in parallel, you've exceeded the max bulk time setting. As it is still charging at 15A, it doesn't sound like a faulty charger. These work on voltage and as the batteries are still taking 15A at 13.5V, they're not charged yet, as shown by the voltage.

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I took 8 Chins batteries down until the BMS triggered their low voltage cutoff, just to make sure all the batteries were at their lowest capacity.

Is this Chins recommended charging procedure for parallel batteries?

1 comment
2 |3000

friaras avatar image friaras commented ·
Hello, thanks for the reply, Chins will never recommend a discharge below their recommendations, but there are some comments posted in different forums in reference to these batteries low cutoff not kicking in at when is supposed to, since these batteries are supposed to have it I wanted to make sure that they worked properly, and for the most part they did, all batteries shut down at approximately the correct voltage cutoff but not exactly as in the spec sheet. To me that is not a big deal, I set the Growatt low voltage cutoff at 20% and the high to 80% since the bank has enough capacity to do what I need it to do. This was a one time test and the batteries passed IMHO. Thanks again.
0 Likes 0 ·
friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

20220911-140532.jpgHello, thanks for the replies.. so here are the screen shots for the apps settings, the bulk time is set at default for one day, wonder if that is why it stopped charging at 13.50v since then I have started another charging cycle and seems to be charging, it's been in bulk mode since then and has gone up to 13.60v. Is the bulk time setting active while on Li charging mode? Seems like I'll have to go to the 30A charging mode or change the 20220911-140548.jpgbulk time, but it takes a while at 15A for sure. The bank is normally re-configured into a 48v series parallel after a top balance IAW Chins recommendations. This is the first attempt with the Victron's smart charger, I have a regular 12v LiPo4 dumb charger but takes longer to charge these batteries and that's why I got the Victron's once I get the proper cables and lugs I can go to 30A and charge them faster, hopefully. Thanks again for the assist. 20220911-140605.jpg

2 |3000

friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

Hello, thanks for the replies.. so here are the screen shots for the apps settings, the bulk time is set at default for one day, wonder if that is why it stopped charging at 13.50v since then I have started another charging cycle and seems to be charging, it's been in bulk mode since then and has gone up to 13.60v. Is the bulk time setting active while on Li charging mode? Seems like I'll have to go to the 30A charging mode or change the bulk time, but it takes a while at 15A for sure. The bank is normally re-configured into a 48v series parallel after a top balance IAW Chins recommendations. This is the first attempt with the Victron's smart charger, I have a regular 12v LiPo4 dumb charger but takes longer to charge these batteries and that's why I got the Victron's once I get the proper cables and lugs I can go to 30A and charge them faster, hopefully. Thanks again for the assist.

2 |3000

friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

This is an update to the prior comment, this morning I checked the batteries SOC and they were at 14.40v after 4 hours of absorption, checked the voltages and they were all at 14.40v so I re-configured them to 4s2p, fired up the Growatt and it started to draw from the bank, so everything seems to be working correctly so far. Thanks folks.

2 |3000

Related Resources