question

griffo1962 avatar image
griffo1962 asked

Do I need both a Venus GX & a Digital Multi Control?

If I already have a Venus GX is there any point to also getting a DMC? Do they do the same things or does it add some more functionality. NOTE, nothing is connected yet, I'm still in the building phase & slowly acquiring components....

TIA

griffo

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

A DMC can be helpfull: easy on/off switch and AC-in current setting.

So this can be a nice feature in a boat or RV, but for residential installations it doesn't make sense.

downside of using a panel: the settings (on/off and AC input current) are not available in the Venus device (only on the panel)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

griffo1962 avatar image griffo1962 commented ·

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
eirik avatar image
eirik answered ·

From my perspective I would not add the DMC. In my boat, I have both, but all the features of the DMC are available through the Venus, Granted, access is usually faster/more direct on the DMC, but the main headache is that when you have attached the DMC to the Venus, there are many features on the Multiplus that can no longer control through the Venus. For me this is an issue when I am not on the boat, and I would for instance want to start or stop charging remotely, which can not be done if the DMC is physically attached. In order to achieve that, I need to detach the DMC (unplug the Ethernet cable) before leaving the boat, and then rescan the Multiplus.

So if I were you, I would start with the Venus and see if it does the trick. If you are not happy the way you use your system, then consider the DMC. YMMV. The reason I keep my DMC is that it would leave a gaping hole in my panel if I were to remove it.

Eirik

1 comment
2 |3000

griffo1962 avatar image griffo1962 commented ·

thanks. good to know.

0 Likes 0 ·