question

dancrompton avatar image
dancrompton asked

Is this a genuine Victron CT clamp?

Hi,

Can someone in the know please give me some advice on a purchase.

I bought what I was led to believe was a genuine Victron CT clamp on eBay (I know), and paid a premium for it. The seller included CTR110000500 in the listing title and description. Yet this it what arrived. It appears to be a generic version, the brand doesn't even match. YHDO, not YHDC.

img-6525.jpeg

I started a return request but the seller replied -:

"As stated, this is the version with the 1m lead. The important part is that it is the 100a/50ma SCT013 (with a burden resistor added to the coil) This will work fine with the MultiPlus II and is what the manufacturer sent for our last bulk order."

Can someone shed some light on it please? Am I right in thinking this is not a CT clamp packaged and distributed by Victron? My argument is the part may or may not work, regardless if I wanted a compatible CT clamp instead of a genuine Victron distributed and approved part I could have picked one up from Amazon for £9, and at least then it would be the same brand. I know I should have used a recommended Victron distributor, but it was a spare of the moment purchase.

Thanks.

Energy Meter
img-6525.jpeg (2.3 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

A genuine one is supposed to come in a box like this one with a proper part number and serial number written alongside it.
pxl-20220906-122855369.jpeg

The OEM is YHDC, not YHDO.
Ask the seller for the genuine Victron serial number, telling him you need this to register for the warranty or something like that and see what he comes back with.

The one you have may or may not work, but if it doesn't or causes some wierd issue then you'll be stuck with a headache.

As you well know, always use an legit distributor to be sure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources