question

ksaltman avatar image
ksaltman asked

Control 2 Quatros in Stacked Configuration

I have 2 Quatros in stacked configuration so I can get 120/240 2-phase output. I need to be able to control each Quatro individually so I can put one in Invert Only mode and the other in "On" mode so it will charge and pass through the A/C coming in.

I have a CerboGX as well as a RPi running node-red with the Victron nodes but can't seem to find a way to control one Quatro with out both of them changing.

Any way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

split phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

When you configure Multis or Quattros as a parallel and/or multi-phase system, they appear to Cerbo and the rest of the system as a single inverter. It is not possible to separate the data from each unit and it is not possible to control them differently.

However, you can configure multiphase units to deal with missing phases on incoming AC. What normally prevents this is "switch as a group". With switch as a group on, if one incoming phase is rejected, all phases will drop their AC inputs and switch to inverting. But if you turn switch as a group off, then if one phase drops out, the other(s) will continue to accept their AC input. Those units will pass through incoming AC input, assist or charge as needed while the phase without it's AC input will switch to inverting mode.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Either they are multiphase (2 phase configuration) or not (standalone), your choice on the setup and wiring.

In standalone, you can do whatever you want to individually, in 2-phase config they are 1 unit.

2 |3000

ksaltman avatar image
ksaltman answered ·

Kevin this is exactly what I want to do but have a few questions:

- I see both AC Input in VE.Bus Configurator have "Select as a group" checked. Do I need to uncheck one or both?

- I have an adapter that takes my 50Amp cable to a 30Amp connection. When using it both legs of the 50Amp connection are tied together and on the same phase. By unselecting switch as a group will I be able to us the adapter and have the desired result of one Quatro in Inverter and one passing through, charging and Power assisting or will I have to do some cabling into the Quatros?

Thanks again for the answers.

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
I'm not completely sure but I think so. You can try it and see. Worst case would be to make an adapter that sends your 30 amp hot leg to just one of the hot legs of the 50 amp receptacle. TT-30 plugs and NEMA 14-50 receptacles are available many places in various configurations.
0 Likes 0 ·
ksaltman avatar image ksaltman Kevin Windrem commented ·
So yes this worked perfectly! I unchecked both "Switch as group" boxes and tested with a normal 50Amp connection and a 30Amp connection using an adapter.

POOF worked just as you said.

Sure wish I knew this before I went and tried, without success, the Auto Transformer route, but at least now I know the trick to get 15/20/30 and 50 Amp service to work.

Once again a huge thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·