question

pau-adell avatar image
pau-adell asked

Parallel ESS communication question

Hello, so I have some solar panels that can generate 6kW at max and would love to add a battery and buy a Victron Multiplus II of 5kW as I think that should be enough for me and don’t want to spend much more. The Energy Storage System I want to do is the one in the image (in parallel) as I cannot connect the 6kW inverter to the output of the Victron (I know the drawbacks but I don’t mind).

victroncomm.png

The problem I am having is that I am not understanding how can I tell the Victron (I guess with a Cerbo) to only take excess energy that the loads are not using and keep it in the battery, and whenever the loads actually need more power to take it from the Victron. Would it be enough to put a meter like in the image and then send the info to the Cerbo? Or do I need to keep the inverters communicating? How should I do this?

The inverter is Solis-1P6K-4G I am not sure if it could communicate with Victron or how.

Multiplus-IIESSmultiplus in parallel
victroncomm.png (221.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Have you seen this video? https://youtu.be/tbpQzEZTElI
Worth watching from start to finish but your type of setup is the first ESS system discussed about 2 mins in. Yes you will need a GX device (cerbo, venus or CCGX) and ESS assistant installed. If you bought a Multiplus 2 GX then of course it effectively has a Venus already inside it? The ONLY PV inverter that I know that communicates directly with Victron is the Fronius.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau-adell avatar image pau-adell commented ·
Do you think there would be any problem if the cable from the meter to the Cerbo was 15m?
0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image gazza pau-adell commented ·
Provided you use screened twisted pair I think you will be ok (I have not used that long a cable but anecdotal evidence from others suggests it would be ok).

I have used BT internal telephone wiring cable(2x twisted pair) on short runs. Before you plumb it all in to make it neat just get your cable (maybe 20m length...) and connect it up to see that you do get a solid communication link?
0 Likes 0 ·