question

joshpix avatar image
joshpix asked

Having issue with Starlink

I am using a Victron 500w (12v) inverter on my boat to power Starlink. It all works fine until I power up the Diesel engines on my boat, and then the Starlink dish goes offline—but the wifi router does not. I suspect there is some interference but have not been able to troubleshoot it.

marine
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Voltage drop due to high current of the starter?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joshpix avatar image
joshpix answered ·

That was my first thought, but the issue persists once the engines are running.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Joshpix,

Starlink has an advanced debug data dump available in the starlink app, tap settings, scroll to the bottom and select advanced, tap debug data, scroll to the bottom and tap 'copy debug data' and then paste that into a text file, or an email to yourself.

Here is some debug data from a starlink sat that is working well, so have a look to see if there is anything that is different and it might give a clue why it's offline;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rbho175rr7m9sa/Starlink_Export.txt?dl=0

One thing that I thought is that maybe the Diesel engines introduce some vibration - have a look too see if the 'accelerometer value is true'

Other values to check - isSnrPersistentlyLow (should be false)

and isSnrAboveNoiseFloor (should be true)

2 |3000

joshpix avatar image
joshpix answered ·

I did some further tests, and it does appear that the issue arises from starting one of the engines. When I start the port engine, Starlink drops connectivity. The AC voltage never drops below 120, but the DC voltage drops to 10.7 volts when starting the engine. I suppose the dish is sensitive enough that the voltage drop causes it to lose signal.

This does not happen when I plug Starlink into a plug and have the generator running.

2 |3000

tymbuk2 avatar image
tymbuk2 answered ·

2286adee-c289-4f29-83df-49e872015ad7.pngMove the internal jumper from floating to ground.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic