question

mattk avatar image
mattk asked

Multi Plus 2 3000 Generator Input

I have a Multi Plus II 3000, configured to shore power and a 5.5Kva Onan Generator. The multiplus, always detects the shore power and switches correctly, however when fed from the Genset, will often not switch over. The switching occurs but it doesn’t seem to always latch. Sometimes you will hear it trying to switch over for around 10 mins or more.

I have found that adding more 240V load to the inverter will sometimes force the switch over earlier , or restarting the generator can also work, however both work around are inconsistent.

Thoughts. ?

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·

Get a laptop and unplug your GX device, put the laptop into VE.Bus and see the VE.Configure monitor, it shows the problematic parameter with red color.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/147619/quattro-ii-48v-5kva-wont-switch-active-ac-input-to.html

It sucks because that information is not available in GX console. Tedious to figure it out first time.

My system also sacks with heavy load and falls out from freq range. I should get generator contoller and electronic governor.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala Juha Tuomala commented ·

Oh, and I forgot to ping you with your name @MattK for notifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Check the voltage and frequency of the generator. Both must be in range of the Multi and stable. The Multi needs to sync itself to the incoming AC before it can accept the input.

The other thing that can happen is the generator voltage or frequency can fall out of spec as it's load increases.

The following Multi configuration items may help. All are in the Grid section:

Enabling Accept wide input frequency range.

Adjusting the maximum and minimum AC input voltages.

Turning off UPS function.

Turning on Dynamic current limiter in the General tab may also help.

Victron provides guidance in selecting generators and for programming the Multi to accept it's output. Search for "generator" on the main Victron web page.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala commented ·
Is there a UPS function anymore? I think they've dropped it from recent firmwares. I could not find it anymore.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Juha Tuomala commented ·
Yes, all multis have it.

Clearly documented in the manuals.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juha Tuomala avatar image Juha Tuomala nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I have Quattro but they should not be different in that part.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Juha Tuomala commented ·
same applies to a quattro
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Adding a resistive load of a few 100 W to the generator can also help clean up the wave form. High harmonic content will also stop the multi from connecting. Also try "enable weak AC" if not already tried.

2 |3000

mattk avatar image
mattk answered ·

Thanks everyone, Will be heading to the boat this weekend and will try the suggested changes. Will let you know how it goes. Regards

2 |3000