question

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit asked

Battery Monitor VE.Direct port extension

I have the smart shunt installed with the BMV monitor. Currently I'm using the VE.Direct port to feed data to my computer with the VE.Direct to USB interface and it is working well.

However, I now want to also connect the VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle to this same device. Is there some way do that? I could install a manual switch but I prefer to use a turnkey solution based on the existing VE.Direct connectors.

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

Unfortunately not. Ve.Direct is a RS232 interface point to point, you cannot connect 3 devices together on it. It works that way, that Tx (sending) of one device connects to Rx (receiving) of the other over cross.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

If you have the "smart" version, you don't need the external BT dongle as it has BT built into the smart shunt.
Do you have the smart shunt or the BMV-712? It sounds like the BMV-712 since you mentioned the BMV monitor?

2 |3000

travelhabit avatar image
travelhabit answered ·

Thanks @johanndo. I suspected that. Perhaps I'll switch the connector/lines to a RJ12 or RJ45 and use a AB 2-way switch box to select one or the other.

@trip-tracks, actually I do have the 712. The problem I'm trying to solve is the BT transmitter is in the wrong spot (too sheilded to work effectivly) and I can't move the 712 monitor (which has the transmitter in it) at this point..

2 |3000

Related Resources