question

David Kennedy avatar image
David Kennedy asked

75/15 MPPT and insufficient PV error with Firmware 1.59 issue

Hi folks,

I have a victron 75/15 MPPT hooked up to a 160w panel and 200ah AGM leisure battery, the system has been working flawlessly for years, battery replaced when needed but no issues at all, however, suddenly after upgrading to firmware version 1.59 I constantly get the insufficient PV error.

I have tried using a different panel, and different battery to no difference, having discussed this on Reddit in the victron community there,‘I’ve come across two others who also seen the same issue after upgrading to 1.59

Is there anything I can do about this, have victron issued any statements about faulty firmware, or is there a way for me to roll back to previous version which worked without any issue at all?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarfirmware updatebug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

30 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@David Kennedy

I have a 75/15 has been running the 1.59 for a while with no issues.

Suggest checking you panel.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David Kennedy avatar image David Kennedy commented ·

Panel fine, has been tested, battery also been replaced and fine, have tried using a secondary panel too and same issue, wasn’t sure what was going on as no fuses out, multimeter reading output from panel fine, then others noted they had the same issue since 1.59 so that seems to be the common thread.

Only thing I haven’t replaced is the MPPT so I guess that’s next if nobody has a solution, approached victron for help who told me to speak to local dealer, then local dealer told me to speak to victron, who again told me to speak to local dealer so… great customer support

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ David Kennedy commented ·

Hi @David Kennedy,

I always hate to hear about finger pointing when things don't go well.

Did you open a support ticket here?

If your MPPT is not working, then the best thing to do is resolve it with your dealer as a warranty claim.

They will want to test to see if they can reproduce the issue on their test bench (to rule out an installation issue) and be sure it is the MPPT at fault. Once it is confirmed to not be working on their test bench - they should quickly replace it with a known working unit.

If the MPPT DOES work on their test bench, but still not in your installation then it gets more complicated to work out the cause - we have a book to assist with this called wiring unlimited - Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf - and of course an experienced installer should also be able to identify any installation issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Have you verified all the settings are what they should be?

1 comment
2 |3000

Yeah, settings as per battery manufacturer are as follows:

Float: 13.8

Cycle 14.8

Same as was there before, values didn’t change after the firmware update but instantly after doing the update it suddenly stopped working and giving me error #OR1 but having checked panel, wires, fuses and mppt with multimeter everything is fine, and again, was working perfectly prior to updating firmware.

Issue began the second firmware update was complete

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If it never works, it may just be coincidental that it occurred during the update. If you are absolutely certain that the panels are spot on, you may have to take it to a repair center to test it for you.

If it does still work just not as often then the fault is most likely still external.

1 comment
2 |3000

I thought it was coincidental until two others on the victron subreddit also had the same issue, also as soon as they updated to 1.59

Two of the three of us are running 160w panels too, so it seems more like a firmware issue?(waiting on panel confirmation from third person still)

I have been monitoring it every hour for days now asides from when I’m sleeping and it’s always the same result

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Hi David... It was me who posted up on reddit.

I have the same issue and I can say with 100 percent certainty this was the 1.59 upgrade that did this..

1 comment
2 |3000

andy-h avatar image andy-h commented ·

Here's the summary screen as well.

screenshot-20220829-092843.png

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

My issue occurred immediately after I upgraded my firmware.

My panel is fine and showing 25.9v earlier when read using multimeter at cable end.

I have a raspberry pi running venus, invertor, smart shunt and orion-tr smart dc-dc charger

I am certain this is a firmware issue

1 comment
2 |3000

Hey Andy, thanks, think people here were thinking I was insane, I’ve tested panel, battery, even replaced battery and hooked up to a friends solar panel after a lot of faffing (luckily he was mid conversion so less faffing for him) and always the same result.

Problem 100% started after 1.59 upgrade

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I've reported it for you.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Kev, would be good to know how I go about doing this, victrons site told me to speak to local victron dealer, I called them and they told me I need to speak to victron direct
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ David Kennedy commented ·
All Victron service and support is through the dealers. Victron don't expect you to seek out a service centre which may be quite a long way away. Also see @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) reply earlier with link.
Most of us here are customers, like you, but there is occasional Victron input.
0 Likes 0 ·
ericloe avatar image
ericloe answered ·

I am the third person from reddit. 130 watt panel and I can reproduce this on multiple 75/15 running 1.59. It works fine for a while then the PV voltage starts showing .1v less than the current battery charge.

I’ve only reproduced the issue with one of my 3 panels. But i am also certain it started the day after the firmware upgrade. It was working flawlessly for 3 months prior.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi all,

Thanks for the reports.

First to re-assure, this 1.59 firmware version has been out now for over 12 months and installed in millions of solar chargers - we are quite sure it stable and reliable.

BUT to rule it out as the cause we need to get a bit more information.

Can everyone who is experiencing issues that they think might be related to this firmware version take the following screenshots in VictronConnect and post them here:

Summary

History

Settings -> Battery

Settings -> Product Info;

victronconnect.png

victronconnect.png (244.0 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

ericloe avatar image ericloe commented ·
Hi Guy,

Here is todays graph where the voltage is fine until around midday and then drops to match nearly the battery voltage. First is highlighting working, then not working, then turning off the shore power and matching battery voltage drop. And also the screenshots you asked for.

I have bypassed the switch between the panel and mppt as well is redone the solar wire splices. And Ive checked the mc4 connectors for corrosion and made sure they’re tight. With the controller off i am seeing 22 volts from the panel. I have also found that sometimes disconnecting the panels for an hour or two i can get the charge to come back and it happily produces 75-100 watts until this issue occurs again.

1 Like 1 ·
ericloe avatar image ericloe ericloe commented ·

ff64b414-d076-4c83-884a-2c99f519f3ec.jpeg

….

0 Likes 0 ·
ericloe avatar image ericloe ericloe commented ·

….

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Thank you Guy.

I can't quite believe it but I am getting some charge this morning. The only thing I have done is placed the battery on charge via pms mains hookup over last 18 hours.

screenshot-20220829-081552.png screenshot-20220829-081737.png

The upgrade was done 6 days ago

screenshot-20220829-081725.png

2 days ago I was driving so the battery was being charged by the orion I guess

I also disconnected the battery yesterday and that will explain the 3.96 min. At that point I was getting some readings from the solar, albeit not 5v+ over 12v

screenshot-20220829-081705.png

screenshot-20220829-081901.png screenshot-20220829-081843.png

screenshot-20220829-081752.png

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Andy H,

Thanks for posting those - so there is a noticeable drop in max solar voltage 6 days ago, and then only a trickle of power.

Make sure there isn't any obstructions on the panels themselves, either casting shadows or bird droppings or something like that.

The next most common cause for this is a bad connection somewhere. Could you please check all the connections,

Then check any fuses, switches or junctions between the MPPT and the panels.

Then re-terminate (remove, re-strip, re-insert) the PV connections that go into the MPPT (make sure that everything is safely isolated first!!)

If it's also possible to re-check the connections at the panel side - though these are typically MC4 and sealed up, so a visual and a wiggle is about all that can normally be done.

This will then hopefully eliminate those most common causes, either by fixing the issue, or by having no effect, so we can investigate further.

As always, never do anything you are not confident with regarding electrical, height safety! Please have someone around if you are experienced, or get in touch with someone to help you if you are not.

If you haven't already - please have a read of this book wiring unlimited which demonstrates some best practices regarding clean wiring terminations on page 28 - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

Best of the luck and hoping for a quick solution!

1 Like 1 ·
andy-h avatar image andy-h Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for reply.

I have already checked the connections between panel and mppt. Confident there's no issue there.

The external fuse is also fine.

Given the fact others are experiencing almost exactly the same issues within a short period of time, can I ask whether this firmware release 1.59 hasn't been reissued (I know you said its been out for a year).

Is there a way I can load an older firmware via my vrm

Here's today's graph. It worked this morning and then stopped and working again now...

screenshot-20220829-173522.png

screenshot-20220829-174210.png

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

I have gone to check again and it's not working again...

2 |3000

andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Ericloe, @Andy H, @David Kennedy and anyone else who suspects a 75/15 SmartSolar MPPT fault caused by the v1.59 firmware update.

I am attaching a previous firmware version v1.56.

Please see here for the instructions for how to use a self-supplied firmware update - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/firmware-updates.html

You will need to unzip to extract the .DUP firmware file first - let me know if this is an issue and I can organise the .DUP without requiring the unzip.

It would be great if you could be somewhat scientific with how you approach further testing.

Ideally the systems are on VRM, and you'd be willing to let me know the system names.

It would also be very useful if you could do a screen recording of the entire procedure, showing the behaviour before, doing the update and then after. Otherwise screenshots.

Also please report back again after 24 hours, so we can see if there are any changes after a complete cycle.

Looking forward to hearing your results!

Solar Charge Controller MPPT 75-15 SMART v1.56_A053.dup.zip

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks Guy - I will try this out in the next few days, (away from the van for work at the moment)

Really appreciated.

1 Like 1 ·
Hi @Andy H and @Ericloe,

Please check your emails.

-1 Like -1 ·
mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I'm also seeing similar issues with a Bluesolar 150/35. Is it also possible to get the older version (1.56) linked for this one as well?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You're describing a very different issue on different hardware to this thread. It is unlikely to be related.
0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I was able to put the 1.56 firmware on, but am still seeing the issue occuring

Essentially I did the downgrade of firmware via VRM, but obviously I cant change any settings from (not that I was going to) from the Victron app as you get the message "Settings disabled, Update to the latest firmware is required in order to view, modify, load or save settings"

You can see the graph below shows I was getting a small amount of solar in this morning, and then its dropped off completely. Yes the battery is almost fully charged and its not a "Sunny" day, but would be expecting there to be something going in.

Once I get the drop off, the MPPT seems to think voltage isnt above 12.5v but the panel says otherwise when read directly via multimeter. There is no shading of the panel from trees etc

1662046514112.png

I know you have emailed directly and I appreciate that, but prior to following up on those actions, I wanted to post here in case theres something else you wish for me to look at or you can access the VRM

Thanks

Andy

1662046514112.png (29.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for trying @Andy H, I think it’s time we get this one back to Victron labs for further testing.

We’ll handle the rest of the details via email.

-1 Like -1 ·
andy-h avatar image andy-h Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Guy, my only hesitation is its a right pain getting this unit out of the van as its right up in a tough spot to work on! I can do so, but was hoping I could avoid.

The other thing I have done today is quite interesting, I set the SOC via the BMV as 90% last night, and the unit has been working flawlessly until it gets to 100% SOC and then swicthes itself off. No float or absorption

1662132545629.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1662132545629.png (28.0 KiB)
mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

I've had a small win, but then even more confused. I've found that my issue can be cured by having a fan blowing onto the 150/35 unit and since doing so, haven't had the same issues since.

Prior to the fan I did think it was very warm but not scorching hot, but must have been enough to throttle the charge controller down to basically nothing. I'm almost wondering if it must be reading the wrong temperature reading from it's internal sensor.

I'm pretty disappointed that I have to try and permanently retrofit a fan solution to my quite expensive Victron MPPT controller but just glad at least I now know what's going on.

Just providing the update in case it helps others. - Still running the 1.59 firmware.

2 |3000

andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) any update on the email I sent to you please? Pretty much seeing this unit is misbehaving so would like to get it sorted. Thanks

2 |3000

David Kennedy avatar image
David Kennedy answered ·

9f7ba638-10bd-44ff-a1c0-7e90f1a18130.pngHey @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Apologies for me taking so long, I am disabled and had to get help getting to the mppt, but I have, even though I couldn’t really afford it, bought a new 75/15 and plugged it in and it works perfectly.

For whatever reason, whether coincidental or not, upgraded to 1.59 on the previous one, just killed it, the new one, plugged into exact same system, same battery same panel, everything is working, obviously I’m going to keep the new one now but should there have been any sort of warranty on the original one and if so can I send it somewhere for you to have a look at, appreciate I’ve already spent £100 or thereabouts on a new mppt, but would appreciate you looking at what happened to the original one and why it stopped working at 1.59, and if possible, reimbursement for the faulty product would be appreciated.

Screenshot of new mmpt in place and not getting the charger off error despite rest of setup being exactly the same, so mppt is failure point, immediately after update as mentioned before

Let me know and sorry it has taken me so long to reply, not easy for me to do this stuff and had to wait for a friend to help

9 comments
2 |3000

Hey Andy, I took a gamble and spent money I didn’t really have to get a replacement 75/15 and it works fine, it came with 1.59 already installed and no issues, working fine with same panel and battery that refuse to work on mppt that died immediately after the update.

Really seeming like whatever is happening during that update process is bricking the units as literally nothing has changed in my setup but the replacement mppt and works perfectly, and again, previous one worked flawlessly until the update.

So whilst it may not be v1.59 itself actually causing the issue, it looks like it’s something happening during the update procedure itself?!

Either way hoping I can be reimbursed as I’ve had to spend to even answer that question only to find out I now have a mysteriously dead unit that 100% happened immediately after the 1.59 install

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ David Kennedy commented ·
Hi David, good to hear a new one sorted it. Just like it looks like happened to @Andy H, see below.

I'll send you an email to take care of the reimbursement.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
ps. this Q&A is becoming a pain to read and follow. So to keep it a bit together I've moved your comment here, to be an answer to your own question. Pls make sure to add additional comments/answers here - thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image andy-h mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

I don't think it has sorted the issue for me. Yesterday I had issues. Today's its been fine. @David Kennedy is yours definitely working every day?

0 Likes 0 ·
David Kennedy avatar image David Kennedy andy-h commented ·
Hey Andy, every day without fault, only difference being this new unit arrived with 1.59 already installed, and based on what I have experienced, I don’t think I’m ever going to upgrade the firmware again after this.

Mentioned on Reddit to you also, but definitely looking like the issue is caused *during* the remote update via Bluetooth rather than the update itself as I’m guessing the units with 1.59 installed at factory are done so wired rather than wirelessly.

Seems to be a software issue or some other problem with communication between devices during it at a guess

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ David Kennedy commented ·
Hi, something going wrong during the update is a possibility. Do note that literrally 100.000's of MPPTs have been updated in the field to 75/15.

With which I'm not saying that there is no bug, instead, what I'm saying is that if there is a bug, its one that has a very rare occurrence.

Regardless: please to all of you David, Andy, Eric, reply to the emails send by myself and/or a colleague, and get your faulty units to us. So far what I'm having here is dozens or more messages, but nothing to analyse in the lab.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image andy-h mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for taking time to reply.

I will get the unit back ASAP as I emailed support earlier.

Andy

0 Likes 0 ·
Hello @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) can I get a response from you on this please?!
0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Heres my update...

New mppt received recently and just fitted. It mandated the firmware upgrade (so I did that) - and now have exactly the same issue.

1. My Panel is reading circa 25v right through to the very end connection. It is absolutely not the wiring from panel to mppt.

2. When I plug it into the mppt, the mppt will not go above 13v-14v.

3. Its very obvious as well that the MPPT starts to work early in the day, but then drops off. This isnt a shading issue, the mppt simply seems to report a different V to me reading directly from a Digital Multimeter)

1663243957779.png

This leads me to assume that the mppt is failing, or the mppt has logic to not go above the current 13-14v based on infromation its getting elsewhere ie battery health, teh raspberry pi, bmv-712

I will also reitterate that the setup was working perfectly up until I did the 1.59 upgrade and it immediately started these issues.

I understand that many installs of this in the wild and they dont have this issue, but I find it very odd that a few of us reported the issue (after we did the firmware upgrade)

Very happy to allow VRM access to Tech support - as at this stage I dont have any real options left.

any help very much appreciated.

1663243957779.png (12.4 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

3. Its very obvious as well that the MPPT starts to work early in the day, but then drops off. This isnt a shading issue, the mppt simply seems to report a different V to me reading directly from a Digital Multimeter

Did you notice that the Vmp dropped once the Imp spiked?

array.png

Looks like a faulty panel, or a high resistance joint in the array wiring.

0 Likes 0 ·
array.png (129.7 KiB)
andy-h avatar image andy-h klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I not really sure what that means. But to clarify the mppt surely must be getting the same v as I am reading, yet its not showing it.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ andy-h commented ·

But to clarify the mppt surely must be getting the same v as I am reading,

After 8am your mppt measured 12 (ish) volts. What did you measure at the mppt's PV terminals?

0 Likes 0 ·
25v ish. This is consistent throughout the day. and starts to drop when shaded or as night time approaches.
0 Likes 0 ·
castie avatar image
castie answered ·

f8230ecd-58f9-4e03-a7d8-a3f7aaab87f2.png72db124e-2754-46cb-bcd5-41fe0c2eb943.pngHi all,

I am also having the same issue as described by others above.

Mines been charging fine for months. Gone away this weekend, did the update and haven’t had any charge since.

It was charging fine this morning until I ran the update. That’s what you see on the graph, and then nothing since.

I’ve also tried rolling back the firmware to 1.56 to no avail. Seems like the damage is done?

Regards

Chris

1 comment
2 |3000

When I tried going back to 1.56 I had same issues.

1 Like 1 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Hi @castle

So when you look at status it's not doing anything?

My new mppt has worked fine today. So am hopeful it's sorted for me... But will see how it fairs over week. I think there's some condition that's being set to stop it working, and then it resets itself and works again. Here's today's activity showing it working better than anytime since the upgrade

screenshot-20220917-1649342.png

2 comments
2 |3000

castie avatar image castie commented ·

Hi,

I tried rolling back the firmware which didn’t make a difference. Now back at the latest. It seems intermittent.

It randomly started working an hour or so ago, but had stopped again now (even though we have glorious sunshine on the panel)

I’ve added a pic of the status.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image andy-h castie commented ·
Feel for you. Same issue as us.

May I ask what size panel you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Today my mppt has remained off despite being in sun.

I would say this problem is going to be tricky to solve.

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Today my mppt has remained off despite being in sun.

There is the problem.

You are supposed to put the PV panel in the sun. And the MPPT in the shade.

1 Like 1 ·
Chuckle... You know what I mean
0 Likes 0 ·
stuart-browning avatar image
stuart-browning answered ·

Hey all, I've just gone to connect my solar up yesterday and my 75/15 has prompted me for an update. After update, having the same issue as all of you. No charging!
State switches from "off" to "BULK" and controller recognizes solar voltage but there is no "current" registering.

Never had any issues in the past 3 years, the mppt controller is barely used as its in my 4 wheel drive and not needed unless we go away on a trip.
12v setup and I've tried a few different solar panels now (200W house panel and 160w solar blanket) both have the same effect.

read all through these forums last night and rolled back the firmware to 1.56 and there was no change.

I'm in Australia and dealers here are few and far between.
By the looks of all these other people with issues I'm hoping Victron can revise a firmware update for us quickly to un-brick these devises.

2 comments
2 |3000

I have sent my unit back to victron so hopefully they will observe the issue and be able to fix it. Fingers crossed
0 Likes 0 ·
stuart-browning avatar image stuart-browning andy-h commented ·

I may have to do the same...

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Any update at all (i know you only had the unit a couple of days so completely understand if not)

Thanks

Andy

2 |3000

mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy) is there any update to this, because I've updated to 1.61 and still have the same issues.

2 |3000

andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

So @Stuart Browning, myself and @mickymac still having this issue.

My units back with victron and whilst they say the unit looks fine, there's clearly still an issue affecting us only.

Hoping we can get more info on what else we might try.

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

stuart-browning avatar image stuart-browning commented ·
I haven't touched mine or even driven my car since commenting here.

If there is now a 1.61 update I'll see if that changes anything.

Ill take another look tomorrow. Also plan on hooking up a different battery too to rule that out.

0 Likes 0 ·
mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

Thanks @Andy H I've ended up having to go back to the 1.59 firmware as I've noticed massive mppt issues since the 1.61 update.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

There is nothing in the firmware change apart from work on battery voltage sensing:

Improvements:

- Improve battery voltage auto-detect corner cases, by completely eliminating the chance of a charger running with an auto-detect pending after the next restart or power cycle. Three changes: (1) in case the charger can’t detect the battery voltage, because no battery voltage is present at power-up on the battery terminals, select 12V. (2) after doing a restore settings to default, perform an auto-detect after 10 seconds. The 10 seconds is to allow a distributor to power down the product in order to leave the product as if its fresh from the factory. (3) Models without load-output would do an auto-detect only if there is PV present. This is changed: auto-detect happens always within 10 seconds after power-up, unconditionally and same for all models.

- SmartSolar Control display: no longer show the battery voltage setting on the display at first power-up, to simplify the process and interaction with auto-detect. The setting is still available in the settings menu.

0 Likes 0 ·

Still not working. PV is putting in more than enough voltage. Mppt is changing from "off" state to "bulk" however no current is being transferred. Have gone back to firmware 1.56 with no change.

screenshot-20221107-171325.jpgscreenshot-20221107-171245.jpgscreenshot-20221107-171430.jpg

2 |3000

amplituded avatar image
amplituded answered ·

I have exactly the same symptoms everyone else here is having. PV is roughly 0.1V lower than the battery, no power going through. Problems seem to have started after the update was pushed (1.59). The setup is a VW Grand California, PV, fuses, cables, connections checked or replaced, everything seems to be ok. Next step - getting a Votronic charger sent, that should fully isolate the issue. (MPPT fault or not). Will update once test complete.

2 |3000

Received a new unit under warranty today.

Still no idea what had happened to the old one however I'm glad it's sorted.

20230124-100609.jpg

2 |3000

andy-h avatar image
andy-h answered ·

Right....

I am back again and on my third victron mppt now (all have the same issue) . The solar input rarely gets beyond 13.5volts for me. Meaning I have no charging from the panel.

Fyi - I have tried with success a renogy 20amp mppt using the same wiring.

Back to using the victron, When I measure voltage at the pv connections just before they go into the victron mppt they are around 26.5v. When they are plugged into the mppt, it registers as 13.25 within the app . Coincidence that it is 50%?

When I connect the multimeter to the screws I also read 13.25

Whilst I recognise others have this sorted I don't, is there any information in the above that might help?

Thanks in advance

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Just wondering what your dealer has said.

I've flagged it with Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy-h avatar image andy-h kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I haven't taken it to a dealer...

Victron have been great sending me a replacement unit and for a short while I thought that sorted things. However this has me stumped. Even this morning it was working for a short while on the victron but back to not working. When I swap it to the renogy it works.

At this stage I stick with the renogy or try a new solar panel and mc4 cable. To be honest I really want to find out what's causing it!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ andy-h commented ·
Suggestion is to check the panel for an intermittent fault.
0 Likes 0 ·