question

dune16 avatar image
dune16 asked

Help needed with victron smartsolar battery settings

Hi all

I am a complete newbie to solar. I've just setup a victron smartsolar mppt 100 50 controller with 2 x 175w renogy flexible panels in series. I'm charging 4 x Exide ea1050 batteries. I'm lost as to what battery profile I should be using for this. Currently it's set to agm spiral cell (I believe these batteries are sealed lead acid?) and absorption is set to 14.7, float 13.8 and equalization 16.5. Do these settings look correct?

Many thanks
Simon

batterysmart solar set-up helpsmart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @dune16

14.7V is a little aggressive for plain sealed agms. Try 14.4 and 13.6V. One of the two Gel profiles should suit. Don't equalize them. If you can find maker recommendations that's good too, especially the specific Temp Comp factor for those batts. If any doubts at all, go lower with Abs V. They'll still charge, just maybe a little slower.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dune16 avatar image dune16 commented ·

Thanks for the reply. The battery manufacturer replied with the following:-

Bulk Charging (Constant Current)12 volt Battery

Charge at a constant current rate of no more than 10 times I20 to a voltage of 14.8V (example; For C20=100Ahr, the max charge current is 10x5A or 50A).

Absorption Charging (Constant Voltage)12 volt Battery

Charge with 14.7V - 14.9V limit for 12 to 24 hrs or when current drops below 1% of the C20 rating (example; C20=100Ahr, the low current shut off is 1%x 100 or 1A).

Float Charging (Constant Voltage)12 volt Battery 13,7V

Trickle Charging (charge maintenance during extended storage)

Charge voltage on point - 12.50vCharge voltage off point - 13.5v Limit current to 0.4 times I20

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ dune16 commented ·
@dune16

Yeh, and I wouldn't go near settings like that. Maybe you see them as crazy too, and that's why you've asked? Not for me, I'd need convincing..

1 Like 1 ·
christern avatar image
christern answered ·

This is a constant discussion all over.

Some manufacturers may promote fast charging and others the lifetime of their batteries and, hence, promote different charging specs.

To me batteries are heavy and costly and therefore I set the charging values with precaution, and low. I get slower charging cycles and longer battery life.

14,4 V is already on the high end for Absorption, according to me.

13,7 V seems OK for Float.

1 comment
2 |3000

dune16 avatar image dune16 commented ·
Thanks again. I've gone with your suggested values, don't want to cook my batteries ;). Regarding the preset, I have this set to agm spiral cell. The gell profiles I see are gel victron deep discharge 1 or 2. Which of these would work best or just keep it spiral cell?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic