question

abrahamsolar avatar image
abrahamsolar asked

CANvu GX & IO Extender: what if I need 5 meters between them?

Hello, Community Folk~

My application is on a "dry" cabin instead of a damp boat. The project will be 48v nominal on the battery side. First, I wish to know the length of the standard connection cable from the IO Extender to the CANvu display.

Next I wish to know if an extension cable is available--maybe I don't need five meters between the two units but kindly address the question as if I do. (I can't get in to measure for several weeks.) Acknowledged that energy to run the touch screen must run through the cable so I'm sure there's a limit relating to that.

If an extension cord is not available, can one splice the factory cable longer without major brain damage? How many wires & what approximate gauge? Clearly this would be my last resort but the splices would be in a dry location & I can solder fairly well.

Thanks in advance~

Venus OSNew Products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
eliott avatar image
eliott answered ·

Hi! The IO Extender does nothing but transforming the proprietary plugs on the CANvu to standard (Victron) interfaces like VE.Bus, Ethernet, VE.Direct. So you don't extend the Extender but use standard cables from the Extender to your devices.

See: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:canvu-gx

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

abrahamsolar avatar image
abrahamsolar answered ·

Thanks, Eliott~ Referencing the image on the web page that you linked, the cable that I need extra long is this one:

...because the black box IO extender cannot be located close to the touch screen in my client's cabin.

I still need to know the standard supplied length, availability (or not) of an "extension cord" & spliceability of the stock cable if all else fails.

Sincere appreciation for any additional help. @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) can you chime in?

io-extender.png (70.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·

Hi!

So you are saying that the cables to the IO Extender like ve.direct can't go to where the display is? but these cables are actually thinner than the Extender.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic