question

dtrask avatar image
dtrask asked

Orion Isolated DC/DC 12/12-30 not charging lithium

Hi everyone, I recently had a reputable marine electronics company add a lithium battery to my existing battery bank consisting of a starter battery and 2 lead acid golf batteries wired in series. They installed an Orion DC/DC to charge the lithium off the starter battery. This looks like what Victron recommends but with the engine on, the starter battery and golf batteries show a charge while the lithium doesn't. Any and all suggested troubleshooting recommendations are welcome!screenshot-20220820-140007.jpg

SmartShuntorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jimduchek avatar image
jimduchek answered ·

Can you post the settings on the 12V-12V charger? I think there's a setting to allow it to boost voltage, that needs to be set. If it's only got 13.3V available from the golf-battery bank, it can't put more than 13.3V into the lithium bank (less actually, as there's some drop -- but I believe the Victron 12V-12V chargers do have the ability to voltage boost). And 13.3V won't charge a lithium battery (much)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.