question

scraggs avatar image
scraggs asked

High voltage alarm

Hi all
Randomly today I have received endless high voltage alarms, the maximum was 60.9 volts and the longest was 12 seconds but it looks like this happened whilst my son was using his oven over a 2 hour period although it's been used before without issue, the batteries were in absorption phase. I have noticed that the throttling of the AC inverter is a bit delayed and I think this may have played a part in the alarms.
Shunt high voltage alarm is set at 60.5 volts
I am starting to regret going up the AC inverter route.
Would altering the assistant HZ settings make things react a little quicker ?
Setup is
930ah (C5 rating) IPzS 48v battery setup, using flooded tubular plate profile in charger
Victron multiplus 2 48/8000/110 inverter
fronius AC 8.2-1 inverter on AC1 out
Smartshunt 500
Cerbo GX

battery system voltagealarm
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lifeingalicia avatar image lifeingalicia commented ·
AC coupled and switching large loads when bat is full ... mhhh power has to go somewhere... at least for a bit...

Not familiar with your set up but limiting max charge voltage and maybe lowering overall bat voltage by .1 or .2 volt could help absorb this issue by giving the bat a litle more "headroom" so the inverter can power down....

0 Likes 0 ·
scraggs avatar image scraggs lifeingalicia commented ·
Hi @Lifeingalicia

Thanks for the reply

I spoke to the battery supplier today after more alarms and they advised that Victrons absorption and float voltages for the tubular plate curve are a bit on the high side and like you they suggested dropping the voltages a couple of volts.
They advised to set the absorption at 58.32v and float at 53.52v and everything appears to be fine now.

0 Likes 0 ·
lifeingalicia avatar image lifeingalicia scraggs commented ·

Great - I like AC coupling as it tends to give more flexibility and cabling is less . I use a lot of microinverters Thus just add when there is a cheap offer, use various angles and feed in points. Like you experienced, in off grid or grid failure the issue is switching large loads when the bat is full - It takes a bit for the electronics to react and the power can only be absorbed by the bat. Thus a litle bit of "headroom" before triggering any alarm is recommended. Victron can oly give generic settings - as you did - best to check with the datasheet or contact supplier for best settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic