question

bobybayo avatar image
bobybayo asked

Smart Solar charger and VE.Bus BMS remain energized after battery and PV switched off

I have a 24V Victron system, When battery switch is off, smart solar and BMS remain energized with 20V in the system. Where is the 20v coming from if the battery power is off? BMS power connected to battery positive after switch.

BMSsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bobybayo

Do you have a way to disconnect your PV as well? The MPPT can power up from that side as well.

Ideally you want to be able to isolate both incoming PV as well as the battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bobybayo avatar image bobybayo commented ·
I have a shut off for the PV side. After shutting both PV and battery, I can measure 20V on the busbars. The battery monitor is also reading the 20v.
0 Likes 0 ·
bobybayo avatar image
bobybayo answered ·

Someone told me that the 20v could be residual energy from inverter caps. I have 2 inverters connected in split phase 180. Is it possible?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@bobybayo

Yes that is correct. Untill all the caps are discharged.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic