question

thirtysix avatar image
thirtysix asked

Flooded lead acid batteries

I have a blue solar mppt 75/15 charger connected to 200 watts PV and 5 110 amp hour flooded lead acid batteries. What settings should I use on the charger and how often should I equalise ?

MPPT ControllersbatteryVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's difficult to give a definitive answer on this. The settings vary between battery manufacturers and models. Please consult the documentation for your particular batteries as to charge parameters.

I'm a bit concerned that you don't have enough PV power to properly charge a battery bank of that size. I wouldn't expect to be able to Equalise that bank even at 200W in full sun. If your loads are very light then you might get away with it. In low light I don't think it will complete a full charge

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thirtysix avatar image
thirtysix answered ·

Thanks for that. Usage is very light plus its backed up with a generator and an engine (its on a boat) so the charger goes onto float even in April s low light but that brings me to another question. If I stick on another 280 watts of solar can I buy an additional 75/15 and effectively run 2 independent systems charging the same battery bank instead of buying a much bigger controller and ditching the 75/15 I have. One of the reasons for wanting to do this is that the battery bank is split in two. " batteries at the front of the boat and 3 at the back 50 feet apart, linked by cables thicker than my thumb. Panels on the back of the boat are a pain in the neck so Id love to stick a couple on the front and charge the bank from both ends but will 2 controllers keep switching eachother in and out?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual