question

jetstram61 avatar image
jetstram61 asked

Multiplus X 2 and 100A current sensor

Hi All,

We have a single 48/5000 multiplus 2, with ESS and 48V lifepo4 battery in a parallel grid connected system. Also 4kw PV direct to grid with an old school grid connected inverter. Currently we use the victron 100A current sensor connected directly to the multiPlus to drive the ESS instead of an ET112 grid meter connected to the Venus OS (raspi).

The system is working great.

I have 2 questions regarding this if anyone can help.

1. We want to add a second Multiplus. Can we do so still using the current sensor connected to the master only. If so do we just configure the slave in the normal manner but leave the external sensor fitted box 'unchecked' ? - Or do we need to fit a meter (ET112) ?

2. Because we are running the current set up using the external current sensor the system thinks it sits between the loads and the grid (see photo) and as such throws up a lot of L1 overload messages. I assume I can ignore these as the L1 does not actually pass through the MultiPlus.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Multiplus-IIESSEnergy Metercurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
h-copter avatar image
h-copter answered ·

Hi, I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I hope you don't mind me asking one of my own! I am planning a similar system as shown in the diagram

ess-basic-system.png

Because the grid connection is 30m from the MultiPlus what I was wondering is whether it is possible to use the Victron CT clamp and extend the cable to that length. Do you think this will work?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pcbl avatar image
pcbl answered ·

I have just done that, adding a second multiplus parallel connected to an existing, using one CT clamp current sensor. The multi behaves as one would hope for, twice the power handling. Unfortunately for me though, Cerbo GX device is not reading the Grid current correctly. This might resolve the issue, I think adding a second CT sensor to the slave unit as implied in this post.

Multiplus-II + ET112 + Current Transformer - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

@h_copter, 30m I believe is too far for the CT sensor which is an analogue device, which now comes in 1m, 5m and apparently 20m which I have not seen any for sale. ET112 or wireless current sensor should be able to manage 30m, but some users report slower response from the ET112 compared to the CT sensor.

2 |3000