question

mikeboatboy avatar image
mikeboatboy asked

Charge Lithium via DC/DC/12/12/18 from AGM charger

Hello,

I have a boat with an AGM start battery and a Lithium house battery. When the engine is running, a 35 amp alternator charges the AGM, which then charges the Lithium via the DC/DC/12/12/18 charger.

I am considering to buy the Blue Smart Battery Charger 25 amp to charge the AGM while on shore power. With the DC/DC/12/12/18 already connected, will the Lithium bank be charged automatically when the Smart Battery Charger is charging the AGM? Will this setup work well? Any detrimental effects on the AGM by being a "pass-through"? I see in the manual it says that

"A load can be applied to the battery while charging, as long as the current draw is much lower than the rated output of the battery charger. Reconditioning is not possible when a load is connected to the battery."

Thank you for your help.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
dc4me avatar image
dc4me answered ·

If I am correct the Orion DC/DC/18 will be drawing about 25A. According to your manual I would say you would be having problems with the pass-through.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The Orion will draw slightly more than 18A, not 25A.
0 Likes 0 ·
mikeboatboy avatar image
mikeboatboy answered ·

Yeah, seems a bit iffy. I may steer towards a dedicated charger for the Lithium. Thanks for your input.

2 |3000