question

nede avatar image
nede asked

increase the power

The current system : EasySolar II GX ( 48i / 5000 / 70 A ) , MPPT250 / 100 + 12 x 415W panel + 12 x battery 12v 100Ah. During the summer I use the system without grid and sometimes I need more power than 4000W.

Can I connect to the current system in parallel a MultiPlus II 48/3000/35-32 + SmartSolar charger controller 250/ 70 -Tr with the related panels without unbalancing the system ? Or it is necessary to connect a Multiplus II 5000VA ?

Thank you very much !

multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Nede

To properly integrate more power into existing ac circuitry you'll need another 'matching-numbers' Multi. So another 48/5000 (without the GX). Adding another suitable mppt of any size is no issue.

One other option you might consider though if you have grid, but leave it off, is to have it switch in automatically when loads exceed a certain value. This functionality is available in Assistants, and might work for you depending on your situation. No expense at all with that one, available right now if you choose to try it..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nede avatar image
nede answered ·

HI !

Thank you very much for the last answer !

I give up on this idea :) :) , but i have another question : can i connect another MPPT 250/100 tr or smaller ( MPPT 250/70 tr ) with related panels ( 6 x 415W ) to this EasySolar II GX ( 48i / 5000 / 70 A ) ?

If i connect another string of 6 panels , i don't exceed the maximum voltage ( 250V DC ) , but i exceed the maximum power installed on the panels ( 5800W ) , in some moments

During the summer we didn't get more than 4150W from the panels and winter is coming :)

Thank you !

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Nede

Adding another mppt is no issue, except check that you have a suitable port in the GX for it. Might need an adaptor to fit it.

It should also be possible to fit another panel string to the existing 2 strings on the 250/100. Ideally you'd use the same or closely matched panels to the existing ones. That 5800W in the specs is derived from the 100A rating, under a 58V charge. The W isn't a limit in itself, but you may see it plateau at 100A over the midday period.. But maybe not for as long as you might think. That's what I'd do.

Just check the Amps in the 3x strings isn't overspec on the solar side. I wouldn't think so.

0 Likes 0 ·
nede avatar image nede JohnC ♦ commented ·

HI !

Please tell me if I'm thinking correctly: my panels have a maximum of 13.13 A at 31.61V, this means for 6 panels per string 13.13A at 189.66V. How can I mount another string identical to the other 2, I will obtain a maximum current of 39.39A at 189.66 V, theoretically, according to the technical data sheets. That means 7470W, so a current of 128.8A, compared to 58V as the maximum power of the MPPT was calculated. I am interested in a higher power only during the cloudy period. So, I can limit the charging current of the batteries to 20 A (at the moment I saw a maximum of 30 A) and the power of the inverter to fit in those 100 A of the MPPT? Or do I only limit the charging current?

Thank you !

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ nede commented ·
@Nede

Sorry, I missed this query.

Take a look at the DVCC section in your GX manual. That should explain how it's current limiting works. There are some limitations, but this would probably suit what you want to do.

-1 Like -1 ·